Skip to main content

@sahan posted:

Will they ever Re-re the Vision Centepede?

I'm sure that they will. If you watch the Trainworld video with Lionel from Friday I think it was, Ryan was talking about Strasburg #90, the new early Challengers, and the Class A. Dave said somewhere after that I believe about the process of how every other year(even numbered years) that they come out with a new Vision Line Locomotive. He then commented about the Big Boy I believe, mentioned prior repeats. If I'm not mistaken, this was because someone had asked why every year a VL locomotive, thought it was every other year. I think that this is around the hour mark or maybe very close to it.

@PSM posted:

You'll just get to pay double the price directly to Lionel!

(I kid, I kid, I get why prices are going up and don't begrudge Lionel)

I doubt the price will be doubled from the original one.  Higher probably but no where near the secondary market asking prices for Vision line engines. Some are close to triple on eBay.  I’m not interested in the Big Boy but it’s cool to get a second chance every other year if you couldn’t get it the first time for whatever reason.

I doubt the price will be doubled from the original one.  Higher probably but no where near the secondary market asking prices for Vision line engines. Some are close to triple on eBay.  I’m not interested in the Big Boy but it’s cool to get a second chance every other year if you couldn’t get it the first time for whatever reason.

eBay is nuts with prices for older engines that have almost no electronics in them, depending on what has come out recently. There have been original Mohawks, 18009 #3000 that have been listed up to $1200. Recently there was a VL Niagara(not sure if it is still up out there) for around $2500. They had been floating around $3k or more for some time. VL Big Boys were nesting between $4k-$5k easily. No idea if they sat or if anyone paid the steep price.

As noted however, eBay is nuts, and no one should trust any prices. RickO has commented how some swoop in to buy something cheap only to resell it for a high price. Sometimes they get someone to bite, other times they have to lower it into where they are getting close to what they paid for it.

Original 2014 VL Big Boy was set up at $2700 not including dealer discounts, 2019 Legacy Big Boy $2200. I would say that this new Big Boy would easily hit $3k as a guess, but what do I know. We won't know it until it comes out in the catalog.

eBay??? A 2014 edition VisionLine BigBoy is currently on the For Sale Forum for $3,300!!! One of the few Lionel offerings of the recent era that appears to have held it’s value is the original Visionline BigBoy (luckily I have the 4012 and love it). While I expect that the 2023 version will command a higher price, I have to agree with Sean that the price will not be double. My crystal ball is out for repair, but I’m guessing that the demand for a VisionLine BigBoy will still be strong if it comes in under $3,000.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.