Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

My 2046 locomotive runs like a champ in reverse, but when I shift to forward, it creeps about six inches sounding like it's really straining, then stops altogether.  It's getting power and humming loudly, just won't go more than a little bit.  If I push it forward while it's doing that, the wheels roll just fine, so it isn't binding up.

I've searched these forums and have found input that it's likely the E-Unit, but before I go with the nuclear option and replace it, I figured I should ask if there's anything else I should check. 

What bothers me about it being the E-Unit is it was doing just fine until I opened it up to replace the light bulb.  It seems like an unlikely coincidence that the E-Unit suddenly went bad at the same time I did that.  I cleaned up the drum and brushes anyway and that didn't help.  I looked all over for wires that I might have pulled loose and everything looks to be intact.  I've recently lubricated it too.  Is there anything else you think I could have done to cause this symptom or anything I should try?  

Thanks for any advice,

Dan

Last edited by Dan Rodda
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Isolate the 'E' unit by removing all of its wires to the motor. Wire up the motor according to the diagram ''Wiring Diagram of Locomotives With No Reversing Mechanism''

The motor should run in one direction. Reverse the wires to the brushes and the motor should run in the opposite direction.

If the motor runs properly this way, the 'E' unit is faulty and needs servicing. It usually needs the drum and contact fingers replaced for a reliable repair.

Larry

I doubt that the problem is the e-unit, since the locomotive does go forward.  The apparent straining sound is more likely caused by something binding.  You should be able to turn the wheels by hand; check to see that everything move freely.  Pay particular attention to the siderods.  Also check for excessive play in the bushings of the motor and wheels.

TrainLarry posted:

Isolate the 'E' unit by removing all of its wires to the motor. Wire up the motor according to the diagram ''Wiring Diagram of Locomotives With No Reversing Mechanism''

The motor should run in one direction. Reverse the wires to the brushes and the motor should run in the opposite direction.

It would be a lot easier to just switch the wires at the brushes right now to eliminate the E-unit as an issue, but if it runs in both reverse direction positions now and neither forward position( the E-Unit has 6 positions) it is doubtful that the reverse unit is the issue.

First of all, make sure that none of the driving rods are bent, and none of the hex bolts, eccentric screws, etc. are loose.  Can you turn the wheels smoothly by hand for one complete revolution?  Look for chipped gear teeth, or something binding in the gears.

Next, how much slop is in the gears and axles?  If you turn the center wheel back and forth a few degrees by hand, do the intermediate gears rock noticeably on their studs?  Are any of the driving wheels loose on their axles?  These locos from the peak years of toy trains often saw a LOT of use in their first few years of life.  It might be time for heavy repairs.  Find someone with a puller and a press.  And most of all, with experience doing this kind of work!

Last edited by Ted S

I appreciate all the responses.  I've worked and inspected the mechanisms as suggested looking for any sign of binding, loose bolts, bent parts, play in the rotating parts, and excessive wear or chips on the gears, and none of those have given me any clues.  I'm actually impressed with how little slop there is in the drive mechanisms when I turn the center wheel.  I'm 51 years old and this set was a Christmas present to my Dad when he was a child.  I know I ran it pretty hard when I was a kid, and I expect he did too long before I was born.  It was only set up around Christmas in my lifetime though, so not abused for most of the year.

I'm not very handy with a soldering iron, so I'll go back and work through all the other suggestions a couple of times and probably stare at it for an hour hoping for an "Aha!" moment before I bite the bullet and start monkeying with the wiring. 

Dan Rodda posted:

I appreciate all the responses.  I've worked and inspected the mechanisms as suggested looking for any sign of binding, loose bolts, bent parts, play in the rotating parts, and excessive wear or chips on the gears, and none of those have given me any clues.  I'm actually impressed with how little slop there is in the drive mechanisms when I turn the center wheel.  I'm 51 years old and this set was a Christmas present to my Dad when he was a child.  I know I ran it pretty hard when I was a kid, and I expect he did too long before I was born.  It was only set up around Christmas in my lifetime though, so not abused for most of the year.

I'm not very handy with a soldering iron, so I'll go back and work through all the other suggestions a couple of times and probably stare at it for an hour hoping for an "Aha!" moment before I bite the bullet and start monkeying with the wiring. 

If you’re not handy with a soldering iron, and you’re not sure of what to look at or where to go to look, why not take it to a train shop, or use one of the sponsors up above that does repair work. To be sure they’ll get it going in short order if they’re not jammed up with repairs........Pat

Welp, with the run-up to Christmas, I haven't had time to do anything with it until yesterday.  I figured I'd try to run it to see if there were any other symptoms that I didn't notice before, and it fired right up and ran fine.  I may have it professionally refurbished after the holidays are over.  If anyone cares to see it running through my Wife's off the hook Christmas village, I posted a video on youtube.

Thanks again for all the advice.  I really appreciate the help.

Dan

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.