Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I haven't done any comparison, but I do have a CZ Dome car in 2 rail. These are highly details and accurate cars. I have had and seen several different Lionel 21 inch cars as well. These look very nice, well made and have a lot of nice detail. But, these are not as accurate in detail as the Atlas cars.

If one is a "rivet" counter, the Lionel cars would leave a lot to be desired. However, for 3 rail operation, the 21 inch Lionel cars, IMO, would look good.

RAY

The atlas cars beat the pants off the lionel ones. The only issue is whether you want the CZ or some other train. Lionel's efforts have been kinda hit or miss as usual.  If you buy the train set the cars are made for its likely you'll get correct window arrangements. But then the cars get repurposed and you can end up with whatever they feel like using. The UP set, and the Broadway set are correct. Other sets, its known that they use the wrong dome car (PS vs Budd). The cars are also simplified. A lot of roof vents and things are omitted, as is a lot of underframe details. Yet they cost more than CZ cars did.

I doubt either is an "investment". But Atlas made the better car, hands down.

Does Atlas and Lionel even have any overlap in 21 inch car road names? Hard to compare unless its an apple to apple comparison. With that said, I would think if Atlas ever did a UP set of cars, I feel they would be better than Lionel, but since Atlas has no UP Yellow cars it really is not much of a discussion of who has the "better" car.

Charlie

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.