Skip to main content

With cramming more stuff onto the layout as I rebuild it, I assumed I would not be able to run my 210 crane. I was correct. Running it boom backward, I can run it around the outer loop, but the boom drags on the wall and the Mecanno bridge. I think the MTH small crane, 500 series with the O 810 super structure will look out of place with the 200 series freights. Has anyone attempted to remove a couple of inches from a 210 boom. Just wondering.

Steve

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Steve, on my McCoy crane and boom car set, with the Marx crane, I was able to "tether" the boom of the crane to the deck of the boom tender car so that the boom stayed over the track when going around corners.  I understand that the Lionel cranes have a gear for rotating the cab, while my Marx was free-swinging:  but maybe removing or otherwise disengaging the gear might be a less drastic solution than chopping off the boom?

david

hojack posted:

Steve, on my McCoy crane and boom car set, with the Marx crane, I was able to "tether" the boom of the crane to the deck of the boom tender car so that the boom stayed over the track when going around corners.  I understand that the Lionel cranes have a gear for rotating the cab, while my Marx was free-swinging:  but maybe removing or otherwise disengaging the gear might be a less drastic solution than chopping off the boom?

david

That sounds like a good plan. I run a postwar Lionel 656025 crane with the boom positioned in a "cradle" on a work caboose, and the crane cab rotates as the cars go through curves.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.