Skip to main content

The head lamp lights up. The E-Unit cycles. Obviously we're getting power from the rollers. BUT the motor is dead as a door nail with no apparent damage to the motor.

I acquired this 224 as junk. It did nothing when I obtained it. Since then I have cleaned, lubricated, oiled, and polished it, removed and realigned driving wheels and eccentric valve gear assemblies, rebuilt the E-Unit, replaced and rewired the head lamp, replaced brushes and brush springs, and rewired, preserving as much as possible the original wiring. According to the laws of electro-magnetism, it should run, but it doesn't.

I must be doing something simple just plain wrong. Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Odds are that either your eunit rebuild isn't quite right or you have some wires mixed up. It happens to the best of us. Disconnect the E-unit and try running the motor direct. Test power lead to one brush. field wire to second brush, second test power lead to frame. The motor should run.

If it does, check your wiring. Check you E-unit. Do all the contact fingers press against the drum? Is the drum good? Some repro drums have flash covering some of the contact area. Some have misaligned contacts. (Most are fine)

Could it just need more cleaning? If you are still getting dirt off the rollers and wheels, you need more elbow grease...

By attaching the test power leads directly to the brushes, and frame, as described above, everything is bypassed but the motor itself. I guess to be really complete, the chassis test lead should go to the solder tab where the field is "grounded.

When I rebuild an e-unit I almost always test it before installation with a little test jig I put together years ago. The last time I skipped the test, the e-unit wasn't right

Another error: Not long ago I did a complete rebuild on an E-unit, only to mix up the color coding of the wires. I mixed up the green and blue on the four contact finger board.
Didn't bother to correct the error, I just hooked it up so it would work and put a little tag inside noting it.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.