Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the response.  After comparing the diagram and parts list to the pars  I have,  it appears that I am missing the "driving slug (6000197012) and driving washer (6002494050)".  How do I cross reference these numbers to something that begins with 2318 or 192?

Do you have pictures of how the wires are connected/routed on this tower?

What makes the men in the tower rotate?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I compared to the Olsen's parts list for the 192 control tower (2318 is modern rerelease). Driving slug is 0197-012, and if you look at your PN of 6000197012, it looks that your PN is calling for the same PN if you strip off the 600 and add hyphen between 197 and 012.

The 192 tower calls for a 3520-16 driving washer, and I can't make a match to your PN 6002494050. However, if you strip the 600, and add hyphen, you get 2494-050, which on the Brasseur Electric Trains site is a "driving washer six finger".

https://traindoctor.com/service/lionel/2330to2700.php

While I am not sure, the 494 in your PN reminds me of the 494 beacon, which uses this type of driving washer.

If my surmise is correct, the Control tower motor is a vibration type motor, just like the 494 beacon.

I believe that I now have all of the parts to make the 2318 Control tower operate.  I found a diagram in the Lionel Supplements that shows the parts - speed nut, motor, driving washer, and driving slug - below the platform.  How are these parts held in place?

Without this diagram, I would have put the speed nut below the platform and the motor, driving washer, and driving slug above the platform.  Is the driving washer supposed to be fixed (adhered) to the motor with the fingers up? Which side of the driving slug goes up?  This arrangement would be similar to the 197 Radar Tower diagram shown in the Lionel Service Manual.

Would someone please advise how this is supposed to be assembled?  I am confused by the two Lionel diagrams.

If you have a closeup picture of these parts on an operating tower,  it would help me a lot.

Attachments

I am sorry to report, but I do not have a Control Tower. I looked into a couple books I have, and while I couldn't find a parts breakdown/assembly drawing of the Control Tower, I did find a drawing for the 197 Radar Tower that shows the parts in the order of assembly.

Looking at the 197 drawing, you can see that the base, sides, and platform look identical to the 192/2318 Control Tower. So following the 197 drawing, you would take the 2318 platform (tower house not installed) and put the motor assembly from the top of the platform, then press on the speednut from the bottom of the platform (as @Chuck Sartor) posted. Then you set the driving washer on top of the motor assembly with the "feet" facing away from the motor assembly. Now set the driving slug on top of the driving washer. In the case of the 197, next would be the metal cap - I believe the metal cap function is replace by the shape of the floor of the tower house. So install the tower house.

You will have to decide where in the assembly process to solder the motor assembly wires to the solder lugs on the studs for power.

Hope this works out for you!!!!

197 pic from "Complete Service Manual for Lionel Trains" by K-Line reprinted 1982.

197 radar tower parts diagram2318 Control Tower

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 197 radar tower parts diagram
  • 2318 Control Tower

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.