Skip to main content

Anybody else have this car? I noticed only half the car lights up. Is this normal? The half which does not light up I noticed has what appear to be blacked out windows on one side and clear widows on the other with what appears to be a beige divider running the length of that end about 3/4 inch from the windows. Might supposed to be a hallway. If it's a hallway I would think it would be lit up. At any rate it looks kind of strange being only half lit, especially when running in the dark with the room lights out.

Last edited by Dave 69 GTEL
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just got this Lionel station sound diner car for my army train. The blacked out windows on the one side hide the kitchen area of the diner car. It also is where the electronics for the sound system are located. Better blacked out than seeing the wires and boards. The other side is the hallway area going past the kitchen area to the dining room area. At night you would only see the seating area of the diner. This is the same mold Lionel has used for years on there tmcc heavyweight cars as well. Enjoy your diner car.

@V. Tiberie posted:

I just got this Lionel station sound diner car for my army train. The blacked out windows on the one side hide the kitchen area of the diner car. It also is where the electronics for the sound system are located. Better blacked out than seeing the wires and boards. The other side is the hallway area going past the kitchen area to the dining room area. At night you would only see the seating area of the diner. This is the same mold Lionel has used for years on there tmcc heavyweight cars as well. Enjoy your diner car.

Thank you very much V! Makes sense. So in other words there is nothing wrong with the car and the lighting is the way it's supposed to be with the hallway unlit?

I love the car and the Troop Train in general. Pulling it is the Lionel 2333720 O US Army Legacy FA-2 AA TW Exclusive set. I also have 4 MTH Sherman tank flatcars and an MTH TW Exclusive 20-91757 O US Army 1942 Bay Window Caboose on the end. It looks awesome snaking around the layout.

Dave I am not sure how the lighting is done on these new cars with led lighting, I have not opened one up.  The older tmcc car have a full light bar so it could maybe show more illumination in the hallway. Your train sounds very nice. I put together my army train with a MTH army passenger set 20-3474-1. I sold off the MTH engine and use a legacy Santa Fe northern 6-11333. The MTH set has a sf R50b express reefer, two army coaches and an observation car. I also added an extra Lionel  baggage  car 6-25542, and just for good measure I added this k-line buy war bonds heavyweight coach. The Lionel diner was the final coach I wanted.IMG_3073IMG_3068IMG_3064IMG_8185IMG_8169IMG_3066

Attachments

Images (5)
  • IMG_3068
  • IMG_3064
  • IMG_8185
  • IMG_8169
  • IMG_9091

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.