Skip to main content

My brother is working diligently to restore our family train to original condition, track, switches, cars, and the 2343.

He asked me if I knew if the engine was part of a boxed set.  I know my Father bought the engine in either 1949 or 1950 along with a bunch of cars (milk, coal, gon, etc).  My brother is trying to find boxes for everything but neither of us know if the engine was part of a boxed set.  We know that the engine and dummy came in individual boxes but don't know about a set box.

We both tried finding info on-line but neither of us have had any luck.

As always, thanks

walt

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

"Lionel set No. 2190W crowned the cataloged line released for 1952. Known as the Super Speedliner, this four-car passenger has earned raves since its introduction. Striking No. 2343 Santa Fe F3 A units led the way, with the brand-new No. 2500-series extruded aluminum streamliners right behind them."

My father bought me this set as a birthday gift in 1952. It was the first full set I had, following gifts for Christmas and birthdays in earlier years of a number of separate items including locomotives, rolling stock, and accessories. Definitely a top of the line effort by Lionel at the time, and the shining star on my rather extensive Lionel layout, which my dad also contracted to have built for me.

A memory as crisp as the morning it happened...  Santa brought me a 2161W set for Christmas 1950.  Still have it...the 2343 A-A pair, 3464 operating boxcar, 6457 lighted caboose, 3461 dumping lumber car, 3469 dumping coal car, and 6520 searchlight car.  He also brought a separate matching B-unit ZW transformer, and a pair of 022 switches.  And the 2161W set with 4+ operating cars was FULL of play-value, to boot! 

I still marvel at the largesse of it all.  Especially when I realized what 'Santa' was earning in those days, my two sisters receiving similar bounties, and our modest home/life, meal menus,  rapidly changing wardrobe sizes,  annual summer trips to visit Mom's family about 1,000 miles away, etc., etc...well, only one word sums it up for me...BLESSED!!

Still have it all, too.  And every other train of my youth.  Not going anywhere...period!

KD

Last edited by dkdkrd
@c.sam posted:

Allan - Your Dad was certainly a fine father!

Indeed he was. He spoiled me rotten, especially with trains, even though he never had an electric train himself and to the best of my recollection didn't care much about real trains, one way or the other. My trains primarily came from Amer's Hobby Shop in Youngstown, which was well stocked with everything Lionel offered. We used to go over to Amer's just about every Saturday after my music lessons (accordion )  in downtown Youngstown. Bought every copy of Toy Trains magazine there from start to finish, and it was my very favorite train magazine at the time.

My much older brother got me a 2175W set for Christmas about 1950, not sure of year.    I was about 6-8.    It had the SF AA, a boxcar with the operating brakeman, a 2 bay hopper, a 2 dome tank car, a gondola with barrels, and the caboose.      I did a search and found 2 shown on line and they both look much like this.   the first one seems identical but has a single dome tank car instead of the 2 dome one. 

If you have those cars as shown in the on line ones, it was probably a set.

our 'set' isn't a passenger one.  It has a brown caboose, a red gon, 2 black hoppers for coal, a black side discharging car (I guess for coal), an orange operating box car, a white operating milk car, a silver Sunoco tanker.  Since I haven't seen it in 3 years or so, there may be other cars too but I think I got them all.

So I'm reading here that there's no way to tell if ours came in a set or each piece was individually bought?  Our set does NOT have the cars that Don (KD) wrote about.

thanks - walt

In 1950:

In 1951:

This set, 2175W, from the 1951 catalog has a close match to the cars you mentioned. Is it possible that the gondola was black and one of the hoppers was red? If the original set was from 1950, you should have a log car and a searchlight car. If the original set was from 1951, you have all the cars and the only cars needed to have been bought separately are the extra hopper, the automatic coal dumping car, and the milk car.

• a brown caboose
  • a red gon
  • 2 black hoppers for coal
  • a black side discharging car (I guess for coal)
  • an orange operating box car
  • a white operating milk car
  • a silver Sunoco tanker.

In 1952, the freight train came with a three unit diesel that included a dummy B unit.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
@walt rapp posted:

My brother is working diligently to restore our family train to original condition, track, switches, cars, and the 2343.

He asked me if I knew if the engine was part of a boxed set.  I know my Father bought the engine in either 1949 or 1950 along with a bunch of cars (milk, coal, gon, etc).  My brother is trying to find boxes for everything but neither of us know if the engine was part of a boxed set.  We know that the engine and dummy came in individual boxes but don't know about a set box.

We both tried finding info on-line but neither of us have had any luck.

As always, thanks

walt

Walt go to Lionel Trains Library (Postwarlionel.com) You can look up your 2343 and find the history on your set. Your set was catalogued in four catalog sets, three freight and one in aluminum passenger set in 52.

Good luck with your set Mark

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.