Skip to main content

Well it's been year's in the making.   Overall footprint of this around the wall layout is 23 x 40. Minimum radius is 096,  48 inch radius.  

It's built on L Girder benchwork with irregular shaped modules that can be disassembled and moved. 

Anyway, the youtube link is below make sure you're viewing it at 1080 resolution.    There's also some still shot photos of some of the scenery work that was done between module building...

A note of THANKS to the many OGR forum members who helped with inspirational and instructional posts and who provided advice and motivation while the year's kept going by.  

Chris A

Attachments

Images (11)
  • DSC03421 (2)
  • DSC03447
  • DSC03152
  • DSC02829
  • DSC02833 (3)
  • DSC02781 (2)
  • DSC02790 (2)
  • DSCN3788 (2)
  • DSCN3904 (2)
  • DSCN4078 (2)
  • DSC03144
Last edited by chris a
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Excellent, thanks for the video!!

I appreciate the video technique you used: strategically placed camera on tripod, to capture excellent views; rotating the camera to follow the action;  and occasionally moving the tripod to follow a train (with some bouncing of course).   Really a nice technique!!   And great consists for watching!

I also appreciate the sound!   I didn't realize I needed one of those freight car squealing wheel-flanges until I heard your video - now I need to acquire one of those!

Thanks again, going to watch again now.   A GREAT layout shaping up!

Last edited by Ken-Oscale

TomTee,  the 2 story brick passenger station is MTH Railking,  there have been several threads on this forum that were immensely helpful with photos.   The concrete retaining walls are all scratch-built either out of pink foam, or hardboard with a product called "foamtastic" cut and glued on to create raised posts & beams.   Foamtastic is 1/16" thick flexible foam sold at craft art stores.   The "Pennsy Block Walls" are purchased as well as the joiner sections.   The short 3 foot walls on the curved road in front of the "town scene" (2nd and 3rd photos in the bottom row above) are something my son helped me create with free CAD software, then he 3D printed the sections for me.....  Time era is like 1948 to 1953 so these poured concrete art deco style over pass bridges were in "style".....

Moonman, thank you.

Ken: thanks for the comments on the video technique.   I would like to get better at this part, but thanks for the encouraging words.   The tripod is essential to keep the camera still/steady and the panning adjustment provides pretty smooth rotation,  moving slowly is really important. 

I haven't found an editing tool that I am willing to try and spend the time to "learn" how to use, so I either have to shut off the camera, resulting in multiple videos,  or try and move it without too much disruption.   Yes the Lionel Freight sounds cars really add to the atmosphere,  there is only one running in the video, so a little goes a long way.  

Chris, Great job on your layout and thank you for sharing the video with the rest of us! your scenery skills are amazing! I know that I have already learned so much from you and know I will learn more! I just hope to not let you down with my so so skills! I hope they will get better as I go along, but I know you will be there to help out along the way!

Great Job!

BluelineC4:   Thanks for doing that.... I was wondering how that was accomplished.  

George:  No,  I was asked maybe 2 years ago about the overall layout design,  I have a reasonably close plan in RR Track 4.0.   Unfortunately it's on an old PC that I keep alive just to support the RR Track 4.0 software, and I am not upgrading to RR 5.0.   

What I ended up doing instead was a "walk around" video where I narrated what I thought were "key design elements".   ie.  2 x Arrival / Departure tracks, the small classification yard, the steam engine service facility etc.  

I should probably review that video, update it, and post it again either in original form or updated form here. 

There was a major change to the design when I expanded into the last room and decided I wanted to accomplish 2 things not in the original design criteria: 

One was to join the upper and lower levels and make them one long continuous 240 foot mainline with no more than 1.5% grade,  and the second was to add 4 passenger yard storage tracks that would sit under a Kitbashed  Union Station, along with an "interchange track" with another RR that would improve operational switching interests, when I finally get there.....

Paul:  thanks.  so it's actually 22.5 degree crossover.   Some time back I learned that I needed to go out of my way to NOT run tracks parallel when possible, it just looks more realistic to my eye anyway if I can add even 10 degrees of offset and/or wide graceful curve to break up the monotony of running along a straight table edge or wall.  I included this element initially because it was a space efficient way to "reverse direction" on the main if I wanted to do so, now with the interchange track and passenger yard not far from this crossover, it will provide some other operating benefits and flexibility. 

Strummer:  Thanks,  It's an MTH Premier CA-1 Woodside Caboose (20-91162)  that I weathered, with acrylic washes and pan pastel powders,  here's another close up.  

DanR & Mike G:  thanks for your thoughts.   Mike G., trust me my scenery skills weren't so amazing a couple of years ago.   This forum is great for seeing "what's possible" and expanding your skills and horizons if you keep trying new techniques, and persevere.   Youtube videos are also a pretty incredible resource for "learning by watching"...

DSC02816 [2)DSC02818 [2)

Attachments

Images (2)
  • DSC02816 (2)
  • DSC02818 (2)

Thanks Bob,  yes I have to humbly admit that I am pretty pleased with how it came out.  My daughter even gave me a "high - five"   when I ran the trains for her the other night.   It was different building in modules in that it took much longer, and I had to maintain faith in the planning.     Fortunately, I did a lot of reading (John Armstrong & other authors), about how to really analyze what's important to the layout owner, how to prioritize it and how to boil it down to something that I could build, hopefully "operate" one of these days and enjoy for a long time and not get the "wish I had done it differently " complex...

Mark,  hope the knee replacement is going recovery is going well,  I have been picking up progress reports here and there.  Yes it's remarkable how soon people are back on their feet when you think about it.   Thanks for the congratulations, the sense of anticipation this past month has been both exciting and a little nerve racking not exactly knowing how it would turn out when I ran the trains for the first time.  

Clarence:  It I can locate some of my "in progress" photos of the coal tipple module build.   I'll try to put together a post with photos so you can see how it came together.   For many of the scenes on this layout I spent some time doing full size mock ups which made it much easier to visualize what the end result would look like before I started cutting up buildings.   

Last edited by chris a

Chris,

There's not much left to say with the all the comments already stated. I know how great it is to accomplish milestones on your layout and I know the completion of the mainline was one for you. The video displays a lot craftmanship, ingenuity, dedication, creativity, patience, and passion. Moreover, it was very entertaining to watch because of all those efforts from you. Thanks for contributing another great layout to this hobby.

Dave

Dave,  thanks very much,  I know we have conversed numerous times over the years.  This forum is the absolute best, even though I am building the layout by myself,  with the interaction on this forum, I don't feel like I have built a layout by myself.   Thanks for your very kind words. 

I have been in this hobby since I was about 1965, and the format on this forum is outstanding.   My modeling skills have gotten dramatically better because of what others share here, so hopefully what I share will help someone else. 

Clarence,   I took some time and put together the post on the Coal Tipple scene,  here's a link

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...chbuilt-how-i-did-it

William & Patrick  thank you as well for sharing the positive feedback.   

Chris, Thank you for your words of encouragement! I will keep plugging away at it and with your help and others here on the forum I may get better! I know you have helped me a lot among others here! You are right about the forum, so many helpful people not worried about sharing there skills and how to's as some other hobbies!

Thanks again and what a great layout you have!

Sorry I went dark for a few days, got really buried at work and we are running out of decent weather here in Boston fast.  Have several clients that want their original wood windows restored before Thanksgiving and early December.  

Dave C:  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.   I bought my articulated locomotives over a decade ago, and the first time I ran them on 072,  I didn't like the overhang "look" either, so thanks for the positive feedback.    I know I owe you a call and an invitation to come over.   I should have time for visit here in mid December once I get past this last push at work. 

Rich, Andy & Pennsynut:  Thank you as well for your kind compliments.  It's been a fun challenge trying to make my last layout one is more prototypical than any of my prior projects.   I am glad in retrospect that I built it in modules, that my kids could either disassemble and move, or sell in modules.   Hopefully it won't end up in a "landfill"....

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.