Skip to main content

I'm most fond of the 2454 series and 6454 series boxcars produced by Lionel right after the war. If they are in VG to LN condition I just keep acquiring them though I have duplicates upon duplicates. I just purchased yet another X2454 Baby Ruth boxcar. Though it itself is in VG plus condition, I was intrigued by how poorly the heated stamping was on one side. I was of the impression that nothing would leave the factory looking this bad. How predictable might this show up? Could it be that since this car was produced in 1946-7, Lionel was just not back up to snuff after their furlough from

producing trains during the war20180820_14241120180820_142444

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You must remember, they were trying to get their trains out for the first time in four years. The demand was super high and American Flyer was introducing a new S scale system. Automobiles, housing, everything was in huge demand. If you could find a Lionel set in those days you were lucky and you sure wouldn't take it back for bad graphics. Like all history you need to put yourself in the time period to truly understand it.

By the way while I don't run the old cars I still love those small box cars. Even have two Southern Pacific boxcars that I have never seen in Lionel's catalog. Don

Even have two Southern Pacific boxcars that I have never seen in Lionel's catalog. Don

I am aware of a 6454 Southern Pacific boxcar. Without looking, I think it is brown. There is a variation in the herald. Some cars have the "SP" herald with an unbroken circle, others have a break in the circle. In my experience, it is one of the less common cars.

Is yours something different?

I think there may be a shade variation on the SP as well.  Too lazy to go look though!  I agree, the circle variation isn't that hard to locate with the internet.  A train of 2454's and 6454's makes for a nice looking consist and not as long as full size cars.  Only downside is you need good clean wheels and trucks or they get heavy quick!

As for the blotched lettering, if its due to a Sharpie, the ink is soluable on alcohol. If you dampen a towel in alcohol and wipe it over the letters and see black on the towel its from a pen. Quick wipes with a small paint brush, Q tip or towel should reduce it, may not remove it completely if the ink has stained the paint. Don't soak it in alcohol as it will eventually soften the paint. Stop if you see yellow on your wiper and let it dry.

As for the SP cars, I think all the red brown cars have the complete circle. All the light brown cars have the broken circle. The early light brown cars have corner stirrups which were omitted the following year and there after.

BTW does anyone else have a modern TTOS repros done a few years ago? Erie, SP, and PRR.

Pete

Last edited by Norton
Dennis Holler posted:

I think there may be a shade variation on the SP as well.  Too lazy to go look though!  I agree, the circle variation isn't that hard to locate with the internet.  A train of 2454's and 6454's makes for a nice looking consist and not as long as full size cars.  Only downside is you need good clean wheels and trucks or they get heavy quick!

that they do. I did that once, put mine behind my RK M1a...made a great train with an N5c at the end.One of the first shows I went to a guy had a box of 2454/6454 in a junk box and I brought the whole thing home,and that started me off on rebuilds.

Just want to thank everyone that responded to my inquiry of the heat stamping on my Baby Ruth X2454. Some thought it was indeed poor heat stamp job. Some thought it was just poor cover up. Truth probably lies in the middle. But anyway it's all what makes this hobby so much fun and why we love it so. Just joined the forum and that was my first post and, again, thanks for all your input.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.