Skip to main content

DMASSO posted:

SAM_6135

The Atlas rep on the right, with his hands in his pocket was rudely dismissive and belittling to my questions. I had asked one of his colleagues if they'd ever heard of or themselves run their O-Scale F3 on O-27 track. (I've recently switched to running almost entirely scale-sized—Williams GP9s, K-Line MP15s—and shorter, O-Scale rolling stock, such as 40' boxcars, two-bay hoppers, 52' gondolas, etc.) The rep I was speaking with asked the rep on the right in the photo, and the latter's response was "O-27 is for toys, these are scale engines." When I asked for a specific reason, is it because the cars are too close and pinch on the curves, or something else, his response was again, "It's because O-27 is for toys." I cannot emphasize enough how belittling, rude, and offensive his tone was. I don't remember a comparable experience with a vendor of any sort, not just model trains.

Matt_GNo27 posted:
DMASSO posted:

SAM_6135

The Atlas rep on the right, with his hands in his pocket was rudely dismissive and belittling to my questions. I had asked one of his colleagues if they'd ever heard of or themselves run their O-Scale F3 on O-27 track. (I've recently switched to running almost entirely scale-sized—Williams GP9s, K-Line MP15s—and shorter, O-Scale rolling stock, such as 40' boxcars, two-bay hoppers, 52' gondolas, etc.) The rep I was speaking with asked the rep on the right in the photo, and the latter's response was "O-27 is for toys, these are scale engines." When I asked for a specific reason, is it because the cars are too close and pinch on the curves, or something else, his response was again, "It's because O-27 is for toys." I cannot emphasize enough how belittling, rude, and offensive his tone was. I don't remember a comparable experience with a vendor of any sort, not just model trains.

I am Sorry but I will have to disagree with your statement that Billy S.- Atlas O's Main Fix it man was rude to you. I was there in the background when you asked your question and in Billy's usual monotone voice he did say that O-27 is for toys, these are scale engines and cars but Billy also tried to explain to you that the 027 Curve [which is really Trolley track at best] is not really suited for O scale detailed equipment. Some of the cars can bind on the curve  and or snag each other's details- especially the longer cars.

Sorry if the Truth hurts but what else did you want to hear?

Last edited by prrhorseshoecurve

here are some of my photos... mainly shots of the various scale layouts that gave me some interesting ideas...

2019_Big_E0022019_Big_E0042019_Big_E0062019_Big_E007

A G scale Container crane... origins a la Helgin HO perhapse?

2019_Big_E0082019_Big_E014

Lionel's NEW to be released Defect Detector! IT maybe difficult to convert the "rails" over from Fastrak.

2019_Big_E0152019_Big_E0162019_Big_E018

an HO scale Hell Gate Bridge being built!  Reminds me of that independent hi-railer in the DC area that built the O gauge Hell Gate module!

2019_Big_E019

The Lionel Booth... I think that's forumite Skip Natoli in white talking to Mr. Ryan while "Mr. Norfolk Southern" another forumite  reflective NS jacket seems to light up in my photo.

2019_Big_E041

MTh Booth on Sunday Afternoon

2019_Big_E040

NOW this is a Military Tank train!... Abeit in G scale!

2019_Big_E033

An O scale Switching Layout

2019_Big_E0372019_Big_E038

The 1:1 2 foot Narrow Gauge Live Steamer.  This year was a restored 0-4-0T Saddle tank Steam engine as opposed to the Forney Steam Loco from the last two years.

2019_Big_LOOT

My "Big E" Loot! Some Bargains [86' Boxcar and 30K tank car], A hard to find item [Cargill Foods 30K Tank car w/Freightsounds], and some good deals on details, electronics, and books! Free TTX and New England 2019 Calendars as well as catalogs!

Attachments

Images (16)
  • 2019_Big_E002
  • 2019_Big_E004
  • 2019_Big_E006
  • 2019_Big_E007
  • 2019_Big_E008
  • 2019_Big_E014
  • 2019_Big_E015
  • 2019_Big_E016
  • 2019_Big_E018
  • 2019_Big_E019
  • 2019_Big_E041
  • 2019_Big_E040
  • 2019_Big_E033
  • 2019_Big_E037
  • 2019_Big_E038
  • 2019_Big_LOOT
DaveJfr0 posted:
https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-84-0154.aspx

O-36 Minimum according to website.

Right, O-36 I believe is what the first rep told me. I asked what the limiting factor(s) was (were). That's when the second rep started in with his belittling response and attitude. (IIRC, the first thing I said was how nice their models looked.) "I don't know the specific reason for that locomotive, but it is probably . . ." or "Many reasons, . . ." or what have you, are fine. Treating a customer like a four-year-old, and rudely at that, is not.

OTH, the reps from Lionel, MTH, and Bachmann seemed genuinely interested in my questions and comments.

Last edited by Matt_GNo27
prrhorseshoecurve posted:

I am Sorry but I will have to disagree with your statement that Billy S.- Atlas O's Main Fix it man was rude to you. I was there in the background when you asked your question and in Billy's usual monotone voice he did say that O-27 is for toys, these are scale engines and cars but Billy also tried to explain to you that the 027 Curve [which is really Trolley track at best] is not really suited for O scale detailed equipment. Some of the cars can bind on the curve  and or snag each other's details- especially the longer cars.

Sorry if the Truth hurts but what else did you want to hear?

(A) I told him that I understood that it was not designed to run on O-27, (B) I told him that, despite that, I run smaller O-scale cars and scale-sized locomotives such as Geeps, (C) I said that I was curious about specific reasons for that particular locomotive. And for a specific reason, he said O-27 is for toys. I was the one who asked if it was due to binding, pinching (between the loco and following loco/car). (I am well aware of the history of O-27 track, and that it wasn't designed for scale equipment.) I have worked in customer-facing positions most of my working life, I know customers should be treated—not like Billy S.

Last edited by Matt_GNo27
DaveJfr0 posted:

I am working on some videos I took on an iPhone XR, but here are 488 photos I took and put in a shutterfly album.

https://qq0u.app.link/e/IdGaLuUSPT

Just went through them all.  I'd like to see pics of seller's tables too but I'll take what I can get.  I saved a lot of these for layout ideas.  Thank you very much!

Last edited by MikeH
DaveJfr0 posted:
beachhead2 posted:
DaveJfr0 posted:

I am working on some videos I took on an iPhone XR, but here are 488 photos I took and put in a shutterfly album.

https://qq0u.app.link/e/IdGaLuUSPT

Just went through them all.  I'd like to see pics of seller's tables too but I'll take what I can get.  I saved a lot of these for layout ideas.  Thank you very much!

The photos were originally for me, but I figured I'd share.

For me, there is a ton of idea/inspirational value from photographing the layouts. There is little to no value to me to take photos of seller's tables, especially at a mostly HO show.  I'm curious why that would be important to you.

I was nitpicking!  The focus should be on "Thank you very much!"

Hudson J1e posted:

I read above that there was only one 3R layout. Were there any O scale 2R layouts other than the switching layout pictured?

If you go again next year, be sure to see the 2-rail O scale layout of the New Haven Society of Model Engineers in the Better Living Center. There is a riveted brass operating model of the Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge on the New Haven Railroad (now Metro-North and Amtrak) that crosses the Housatonic River between Stratford and Milford, Connecticut. The model was built around the time of WW2. These pictures were taken at the show on January 25, 2015. Same in 2019.

MELGAR

MELGAR_01_2015_0125_SPFLDMELGAR_02_2015_0125_SPFLDMELGAR_03_2015_0125_SPFLDMELGAR_04_2015_0125_SPFLD

Attachments

Images (4)
  • MELGAR_01_2015_0125_SPFLD
  • MELGAR_02_2015_0125_SPFLD
  • MELGAR_03_2015_0125_SPFLD
  • MELGAR_04_2015_0125_SPFLD

MELGAR and ARNOLD. CRIBARI visited the show on Sunday. MELGAR was also there on Saturday and purchased a Lionel Docksider (to appear in Switcher Saturday) and yet another (Weaver) New Haven caboose - spending a total of 15 hours at the show on the two days. MELGAR's daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons joined us at the show on Sunday afternoon. Arnold bought scenery products for a revamping of a part of his layout and - just as we were walking out the door - a beautiful model of a boat for the "water" on his layout. In my opinion, if you live in New England and like model railroading, this is the best show of the year. All gauges and model railroading activities represented to some degree.

MELGAR

2019_0127_MELGAR_CRIBARI

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2019_0127_MELGAR_CRIBARI
Last edited by MELGAR

when I found out the dates for this show, called my son(he lives 1 1/2hr south of springfield.)

drove down Friday night. Saturday morning my son and I and his girl friend and their 18month old drove

up to the show. forgot to tell them about the crowds and parking, although we only waited about 10 min to get parking,

once inside with our wrist bands, it was a wonderful time. we only made it through 3 builds but that was enough.

Goods times with family, got to see some familiar faces at show and there is something for everyone.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.