Skip to main content

I am currently tearing into a AF 290. Though I know little about these engines, I do know about Lionel engines, and there does not appear to be too much of a difference. I do have some questions though:

1. When I took the shell off the boiler, a L shaped plate fell off. I found where it goes, but how should these be attached? They seem to be holding, but I figure while it's apart.

2. The smoke unit. How does this thing work? I know the piston pushes air through it, but how does the wick work? And what heating element do I need? Do they still make the cardboard gasket for the bottom?

Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Michael,

If it's a small black L shaped plate appox 3/4 X 1/2,  it screws into the inside of the boiler and fits into a slot in the chassis to hold it in the boiler. the addition of 2 screws in the front under the pistons secures the boiler. As for the smoke unit usually the addition of fluid and some time to soak will bring it back to life. In severe cases the old fluid congeals and blocks the smoke exit hole. The 2 connections on top of the smoke unit lead to nichrome wire which is wound around an angel hair core which acts as a wick. The wire heats during application of voltage and produces the smoke. Rewiring the unit is slightly complicated as you need the correct components and the correct amount of turns of wire to produce a balance of no smoke or a burned up unit. Kits are available through AF parts dealers and rewiring services are also available. Clean the armature with a pencil eraser and clean out the slots, replace the brushes if necessary. The brush springs have wings when installing, be carefull. The reverse unit is your biggest challange.

Rich

Thanks guys. As of right now, the motor has been cleaned, and the brushes and springs are replaced. I have the e-unit disassembled (so far it seems nicer than a Lionel one). I am going to clean that up and replace the fingers in there.

What parts do I need exactly for the smoke unit.? I am assuming it is the smoke wick kit which they say is out of stock? You have to excuse my stupidity with this. I was expecting a liquid smoke unit like a modern engine, just an element next to a wick. This seems to be more complicated.

Originally Posted by CarGuyZM10:

Thanks guys. As of right now, the motor has been cleaned, and the brushes and springs are replaced. I have the e-unit disassembled (so far it seems nicer than a Lionel one). I am going to clean that up and replace the fingers in there.

What parts do I need exactly for the smoke unit.? I am assuming it is the smoke wick kit which they say is out of stock? You have to excuse my stupidity with this. I was expecting a liquid smoke unit like a modern engine, just an element next to a wick. This seems to be more complicated.

At minimum you need the wick kit ( eBay item 360506755123) and a bottom gasket otherwise it may leak fluid. Remember to not to over tighten the six screws on the top plate as you will strip the thread.

It isn't really that complicated, just needs a different technique and a bit more patience and time.

Welcome to the world of AF! The wick and nichrome wire come together in the re-build kit. Wire is wound around the midway point of the wick material. You will need to thread both ends into their respective holes located in the bottom of the metal chamber.

For ease and perhaps better smoke production, I have always drilled out these holes a couple of sizes bigger to aid in feeding the wick material thru the holes. Al

Thanks guys. I have another question. I am rewiring, and I have the harness which goes between the tender and the engine. My question is, how do you tell which wire goes where? I mean, I have the wiring diagram, but there are two gray wires, and two black wires in the harness. It seems very easy to accidentally wire it up incorrectly...

Wiring is complex unless you've done so many you can do them in your sleep. The two same colors go on the top pins of the jack panel plate, and the other two matching colors go to the bottom pins on the jack panel plate. The contact fingers hookup at the reverse unit you will need to follow the wiring diagram that Doug Peck has on his web site.

Gandy
Originally Posted by SHOOter:

Have similiar problems with my 290.  Regarding the e-unit...does anyone have a drawing of the electrical wiring to by=pass the e-unit??

Answer:

Just run a lead from each of the tender truck rivets out to each of the brushes, and have each of the field leads go to one of the brushes as well. Then you can just stow the harness inside the tender shell with a piece of electrical tape over the pins.

Gandy

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.