Skip to main content

I am working on cleaning up a prewar Lionel #2956 Hopper. I have to remove some of the bearing caps to replace two sets of doors. I was able to remove one pair by grasping them with a smooth jawed duck billed pliers, rocking them every gently, and pulling. I have not removed the second pair yet.

I am thinking about whether I should remove them all to clean them up, or just leave well enough alone.
So here are my questions:

Are there any better ways (tricks) to remove the caps?

Any tricks to installing the caps?
I am a bit concerned about the potential of splitting the slots that the caps press into.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Doing as you describe will work (obviously). They have a tab top and bottom, if you remove the wheels, you can get at the tabs.  Ideally you want to remove them with the least amount of bending or force. You can see them in the pic below.  I usually pry the tab slightly and wiggle them out.  This keeps from smashing or scratching them which could happen by doing it the way you did. 

Its the tabs you have to worry about breaking off, not the slots btw. This is why you should minimize the bending effort, force, etc.

Either way works in the end.

prewar truck journal

Attachments

Images (1)
  • prewar truck journal

Update:

I removed the door retainers (bearing caps) by grabbing them with a needle nosed vise grips (the jaws are smooth where they grasped the part), and pulling straight up while rocking very gently.

I am ready to reassemble the car now.
I am thinking I will just gently tap them back in place.
If they won't stay, I probably will put a very small amount of Loctite in the slot before installing the bearing caps. Don't want the Loctite to show.

Below are a couple of photos of the hopper door and bearing caps.

IMGP2595

IMGP2597

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMGP2595
  • IMGP2597
Last edited by CharlieS

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.