Skip to main content

Today is National S Gauge/Scale Day! (Officially unofficial...)

So, time to celebrate a little evolution. 

A locomotive that helped to start it all; The C-D Models wood/card/metal 4-6-0:

CP BC 4-6-0 508r

The Iconic AF Atlantic:

CP AFL 302 4-4-2 RDG hybridr

The SHS 2-8-0:

CP AT&SF 2-8-0 2513r

Doubtless, there are many more locomotives that could be shown, I've chosen these three to represent the "holiday" today

Rusty

Attachments

Images (3)
  • CP AT&SF 2-8-0 2513r
  • CP BC 4-6-0 508r
  • CP AFL 302 4-4-2 RDG hybridr
Last edited by Rusty Traque
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Strummer:

Very nice,Rusty.

I for one would like to know more about that C-D model...

Mark in Oregon

Well, I got this model by way of two estates via Scenery Unlimited in 1997.  It originally belonged to veteran S Scaler Tom Coughlin.

The C-D (aka Cleveland-Design or Cleveland Models) 4-6-0 was originally offered around 1939-1940.  From what I can dig up, it was origianlly offered with either an AC motor or a 6 volt DC motor.  This model has a 12v DC motor and I think it hails from the late 40's.

Here's a May 1947 ad I dug up from the Model Railroader archives:

CD 4-6-0 ad MR May 1947

The frame, cylinders, trucks and some detail parts are metal(zamak, most likely,) the boiler, stack and domes are wood turnings, the cab and smokebox front is embossed cardstock as is the tender, which is wrapped around a wood sub-structure.

The Chicago Great Western lettering was printed and embossed into the cardstock.  Any rivets were also embossed. 

The original owner repainted the locomotive and lettered it for his own road, Berkshire Central.  I've pretty much left it alone, except for touching up some worn spots.

It still runs pretty well, although the motor has a fragile commutator segment.(It flew off when I was checking the locomotive out, but I was able to repair it.)  Consequently, when I do run it, it gets light duty.

In spite of the 4-6-0 hailing from S Scale's Jurassic era, I keep it parked on a turntable lead, ready to be called for service.  As far as I'm concerned, it holds up very well against today's models.

C-D's railroad models were offered until around 1950.  C-D's Ed Packard spoke at the NASG convention in Chicago many moons ago and talked about resistance from the retail establishment for this upstart S Scale. 

I've heard that a lucky modeler located TWO unassembled 4-6-0 complete kits at the last S-Spree.  I'm officially jealous.

Rusty

Attachments

Images (1)
  • CD 4-6-0 ad MR May 1947

Two posts in one day from me, I don't usually do two a year. Happy 3/16 S day to all. It should be a national holiday.

Rusty was that your C-D model that was in the S Gaugian years ago. It is neat to see it preserved and operating.

And in keeping with the festivities of S day a couple shots of my now reduced to rubble layout. Photos courtesy of Frank Raburn.

trains 2

trains 3

Attachments

Images (2)
  • trains 2
  • trains 3
Last edited by Caldwell
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.