Skip to main content

Iv'e been taking a tubular layout to Senoir Homes/Community centers ect and maybe a school down the road. People will ask "How the trackside rotary beacon ect light up?' " I try to explain but usually busy with something else. I recall seeing the title shown in a how to book (or online??) somewhere.  By 3D I mean the wheels and axels where drawn so people really got the idea. Any suggestions please pass on, Unclepeterr 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Uncle Peter:

Why not make a small demonstration board, with two pieces of track, connected together. One un-insulated, and one insulated. Add a truck with steel wheels and axle, a small power supply, and a pilot lamp, or better still, a dwarf signal. Have the guests roll the truck back and forth to show the operation.  Use a test lead first, to show the current flow, and then use the rolling truck. Draw a diagram to show how it works.

My next message shows a track circuit. Just print it, and white-out the part that says "detector circuit."

Last edited by Arthur P. Bloom
bmoran4 posted:

Here is the patent information and diagram:

https://www.google.com/patents/US1750322

Wow, I am also astonished that this is a patentable concept ... and that I'd never heard of this patent.  One would have thought that every diagram in every Lionel accessories manual would have needed to reference this patent, however flimsy the patent concept appears to be.

One would have to further wonder why Mr. Koerber never raised a ruckus about everyone using his concept without any attribution whatsoever...

Steven J. Serenska

Peter:

I finally found the diagram I had remembered which is attached.  The diagram is Figure 4 at the top left.  This page is from the 1950 “Bantam Book” Model Railroading written by Lionel.  You could crop out the rest of the page leaving just that Figure and enlarge it so its easier to read.  The diagram shows a relay but that’s not necessary in your application so you could photo shop out the relay and those contact arrows or if you’re old-school print it out and use “white-out” to erase them and hand-draw a box with the name of your accessory in it in place of the relay.

Hope this helps,

Bill

3-D_diagram_of_wheels_on_insulated_rail

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 3-D_diagram_of_wheels_on_insulated_rail: From 1950 Lionel Model Railroading Bantam Book (page 79)
Last edited by WftTrains

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.