Skip to main content

I bought a Corgi birney to compare with my Lionel ones.  I very much like the detail and scale proportions, so thought I would try to motorize it.  The method I used turned out to be so simple I thought I would share it.  I used the drive from a Williams pump-action handcar, a self-contained unit that mounts under the floor and requires no wiring.  You unscrew the truck from the Corgi and also the bottom piece.  Then, you attach the drive with four #6 sheet metal screws.  You don't want to over-tighten the screws or you will mash the drive gears, just tighten enough to hold the drive in place.  I drilled pilot holes into the floor of the Corgi; the screws line up behind the seats and barely show on the interior.  I cut out the brakes and springs from the plastic piece, trimmed the ends a little to clear the wheels, and attached to the sideframes, then used a 1/4" shim to cement the sideframes to the drive.  The wheelbase is very close, to within about 1/16", and the car rides low (for 3-rail).

Downsides: 1) only runs forward, so you need a loop, and 2) paid $80 for the handcar, so not cheap, but then cheaper than most aftermarket drives.

imageimage

One thing I wish were different on the Corgi:  the finish is very glossy, and

I would like to tone it down without fogging the windows.  Any suggestions?

Bruce

Attachments

Images (4)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.