Skip to main content

This was one of the more interesting and fun projects I've done. I've field tested it and the kids love it....  SO...

Start with this

d1

Remove pull string and add a set of trucks with a metal mounting plate.

d2

Now add it to your favorite train. Thomas and friends seem to work the best...

He needs a little weight behind him for the effect.  Kids and families seem to relay enjoy this a shows.

Bruce....

d1

Attachments

Images (2)
  • d1
  • d2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not that price is everything, but I just checked Amazon and the first 2 that I saw went for $45 and $48 plus postage.  That's a bit of an ouch!

But it's such a neat and fun idea, maybe this is a case where money isn't the end-all-be-all determinant

Whoa, that is steep, I think I paid about half of that. Word has gotten out, Now there is a rush on them... 8-)

How about if you were to use one of the K-Line speeders or handcars with the Slinky Dog on two of the little flats.

That would work, but you would have to anchor the feet to the flat somehow. I would lean towards a set of trucks. Most people have a pair laying around anyway. There is some bumping and stress ( although very little )  on the trucks so gluing is important.

Joe Rampolla posted:

Hi Bruce,

I love it!!!!!!  Absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!!  What a wonderful idea!!!!!!   Lionel should purchase the idea from you and add it to their product-line in time for the next Toy Story movie release.

Take care, Joe.

Thanks Joe....  Sad thing is I already tried Lionel. I had Slinky dog at the Novi train show a couple week a go and showed it to one of the Lionel reps who said they liked it. To submit the idea go to the website and use the "contact us"  option.  Well I did and it's been 2 weeks and I've heard nothing. I thought It would be great with a toy story train considering Toy Story 4 is coming out.  Oh well so I figured I'd just post it and let forum members have fun with it. I wasn't looking to make and money off this, just trying share some fun with the hobby...

Thanks to everyone for their comments. If you make one post it here I'd like to see what you have done....

Bruce....

Stoshu posted:

Thanks Joe....  Sad thing is I already tried Lionel. I had Slinky dog at the Novi train show a couple week a go and showed it to one of the Lionel reps who said they liked it. To submit the idea go to the website and use the "contact us"  option.  Well I did and it's been 2 weeks and I've heard nothing. I thought It would be great with a toy story train considering Toy Story 4 is coming out.  Oh well so I figured I'd just post it and let forum members have fun with it. I wasn't looking to make and money off this, just trying share some fun with the hobby...

Thanks to everyone for their comments. If you make one post it here I'd like to see what you have done....

Bruce....

Hi Bruce,

That's really an insult to direct you to their web site.  Remember, these are the same people who brought out that lame Mega Tracks product.   They'll throw some Toy Story graphics on a box car at $89 a pop, that's their plan.   Lionel is in a excellent position to team with Pixar/Disney, and somehow forget they are toy manufacturers.  Well, maybe Bachmann is watching!  It would be so simple to produce; half the project is off-the-shelf, they already have the trucks, so just 2 square pieces of metal, screws, and done!  Just proves they have no vision or creativity.    Even though your idea is in the public domain now, they still could contact you.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Take care, Joe.

MNCW posted:

Bruce,

I think you may have solved the problem of slack action on real railroads...can't you see one of these full-size cars going around Horseshoe Curve? 

Tom 

go big or go home eh Tom.... Though that did spark and idea. Why not make a full-size slinky on on a skeleton Log car. Not one that would stretch but something to put behind say a real gondola. They could pull it from Disney in Florida to California when the movie premiers.  Could you imagine sitting at a crossing gate when at the end of the train here comes a twelve foot high slinky dog ?  If Walt was still alive I bet he consider it....

Bruce..

John...must admit, when I first saw the video that Bruce posted, I couldn’t resist either! Mine was delivered on Saturday and I was surprised to see that it was actually a “Springer Spaniel” in disguise...😳

Didn’t have any spare trucks...so waiting on those to be delivered now. Hoping that you will share your mounting and assembly techniques as a DIY here. Not sure who will have more fun...kids running this behind Thomas & Friends...or me...🤪

Last edited by UKE KAT

I don't know how you might do it but I keep thinking there should be some way to do a tie-in with the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile .

I'm also guessing that you can't have more than one Slinky Dog due to the weight requirement and relative lack of "pulling" ability/demand placed on the spring -- that is, slinking, weight car, slinky, weight car, etc.  A string of these "hot dogs" would be hilarious.

TRRR

Not to diminish your inventiveness, there was a G scale train at Trainfest 5 or 6 years back with a weiner mobile "engine" and slinky cars in tow.  They put a clear cylinder around the spring to keep it from slinkying.  It might have looked better inside the spring or put a clear rod in the middle.  It is a good idea as evidenced by the fact that I remembered it (I don't remember today's lunch).

Brendan

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
Brendan posted:

Not to diminish your inventiveness, there was a G scale train at Trainfest 5 or 6 years back with a weiner mobile "engine" and slinky cars in tow.  They put a clear cylinder around the spring to keep it from slinkying.  It might have looked better inside the spring or put a clear rod in the middle.  It is a good idea as evidenced by the fact that I remembered it (I don't remember today's lunch).

Brendan

Now that is a good idea also. A mom with her pups... although the pups are only 5" high they would fit through a tunnel portal. Mom not so much. But it really looks neat...

TomlinsonRunRR posted:

I'm also guessing that you can't have more than one Slinky Dog due to the weight requirement and relative lack of "pulling" ability/demand placed on the spring -- that is, slinking, weight car, slinky, weight car, etc.  A string of these "hot dogs" would be hilarious.

TRRR

You may have to experiment with what you put behind it. It does require a little weight to make it work right. I've used 1 or 2 sodor cabeese.   Also the plate is 1 1/4" X 2 1/4" here is a quick picture. Hope it helps...

plate1

Attachments

Images (1)
  • plate1
gunrunnerjohn posted:

I don't know that I'll be gluing it down, I plan on mechanical mounting.  Of course, another possibility is this power truck from a Williams 44-ton locomotive, it would be a perfect match for the job.  Then the puppy could roll on it's own!

Good idea. I have one that I was going to use on a ETS small steeple cab frame and shell. Who know this may be better

Last edited by RonH
walt rapp posted:

I'm not too successful with adhesives so I ask: I ordered one from Amazon but am wondering what type of adhesive is STRONG enough to stop it from breaking loose of the truck?

as always - thanks

My wife gave me something call E6000. ( sold at Michael's and Amazon ) I'm not sure who makes it though. It  also comes in colors I used black... Mine has been field tested for about 10 months now so I recommend it.

I may not have been clear to John and others, but I think STOSHU got me.  I meant an adhesive to stop the DOG itself from pulling away from the truck.  I've already figured out how to attach a "base" to the trucks I'm using, using screws, so that's not my issue.  Keeping the DOG firmly connected is though.

STOSHU: thanks, I'll look for that.  I've heard of it but never tried it.  Don't know if it's anything like ALENE's, but I've used ALENE's many times on "slippy" surfaces, but not ones that are under pressure like this dog's paws will be.

- walt

How about on 2 bump n go frames? With the bumpers tied together and reverse disconnected so each shuts off alternately rather than reversing.

Front moves forward until the stationary rear pulls on its rear bumper shutting off the front, and the pull also pulls the front bumper of the rear, so it moves forward.  When it hits the front car, the rear car shuts off, and the front car's rear bumber is pressed at the same time so it starts moving and the cycle repeats.

Of course you could go with smaller critters and use micro- limit switches.

Hey, how about a Marx plastic covered wagon team pulling an old Gravy Train car and the dog chasing it

This could get competitive... no dogfights, or airplane battles please .

🎵My dog's faster than your dog, my dog's bigger than yours. My dog's better cause he gets Ken-L Ration, my dog's better than yours. 🎵

(an old Tom Paxton tune & commercial sung by Richard Marx as a kid.... I told ya'll I collected cover tunes )

Learned a lesson about Amazon with this: I went and saw a wide variety of "slinky" dogs with a wide variety in pricing.  Here's the one that I ordered:

I just assumed that the body was a spring - this one is SUPPOSED to be an authentic toy story one just I bought it.  Plus it has the word "slinky" in the title.  Got it yesterday.  UGH!!!!!!!!  Will ship it back.  the body is a plastic, expandable "tube" like a dryer vent plastic outlet tube.  I can expand it by hand but it doesn't retract unless I push it closed.  That's NOT what I call a "slinky" effect.

Now I know why some cost in the $45 to $50 range while there are also cheaper ones.  this is a cheap one.

I'll have to remember to look WAY closer when I look for the one that I want.

- walt

Attachments

Images (1)
walt rapp posted:

Learned a lesson about Amazon with this: I went and saw a wide variety of "slinky" dogs with a wide variety in pricing.  Here's the one that I ordered:

I just assumed that the body was a spring - this one is SUPPOSED to be an authentic toy story one just I bought it.  Plus it has the word "slinky" in the title.  Got it yesterday.  UGH!!!!!!!!  Will ship it back.  the body is a plastic, expandable "tube" like a dryer vent plastic outlet tube.  I can expand it by hand but it doesn't retract unless I push it closed.  That's NOT what I call a "slinky" effect.

Now I know why some cost in the $45 to $50 range while there are also cheaper ones.  this is a cheap one.

I'll have to remember to look WAY closer when I look for the one that I want.

- walt

I ordered a used one with a good metal spring. Just wondering if the metal spring will ever sag to short the track out.
Any way I paid $12 for the used one with $4 shipping. Just keep looking:
)

Big Jim posted:
walt rapp posted:
Big Jim posted:

Screws I said!

So are you saying to screw the paws to the plate?

thanks - walt

Sure, why not? Go from underneath up.

To keep plastic from cracking if brittle consider heating the screw to set it. Using a stainless steel screw , it should resist sticking and the screw can be removed leaving theads behind.

This also works pretty well in wet JB weld. 

A light coating of grease on threads and you can use plain screws, or even machine screws in wet JBW, in essence molding threads.

Once very firm, but not fully cured is usually the best time to make sure the screw can turn and isn't sticking. 

Of course using it or another epoxy to glue it would likey work too.  Using holes it can form a "liquid rivet".

Big Jim posted:
walt rapp posted:
Big Jim posted:

Screws I said!

So are you saying to screw the paws to the plate?

thanks - walt

Sure, why not? Go from underneath up.

Of course, I say this assuming that you know to first drill a proper pilot hole in the plastic to keep it from splitting before driving the screw.

Just a FYI, there are various sizes for this dog. I just got mint from eBay and it is the smaller one like the one on this post. There is a larger size that uses the regular size slinky and this one the dogs heat to ground is about 7 inches, good for standard gauge. The one I got is about 3 inches tall and will be good for O gauge. I will  send some photos later on.

I

gunrunnerjohn posted:

I ended up with the big one, I didn't find a smaller one that actually had a slinky spring.

I looked again, apparently the correct one is the Slinky Dog Jr.

You are right John. The picture I uploaded had the lower right corner cut off.. here is a better picture that should help everyone. Sorry for the confusion.

d5

Attachments

Images (1)
  • d5
gunrunnerjohn posted:

I ended up with the big one, I didn't find a smaller one that actually had a slinky spring.

I looked again, apparently the correct one is the Slinky Dog Jr.

I ended up with the big one also. Too bad, but maybe one of the neighbor kids would like it. It's not worth sending back as the shipping cost is half the total price. Also, since it was MY mistake, there is no reason the seller should suffer.

No one has mentioned falling into this problem yet, but another thing to be careful of when ordering.

While I did not order one of these yet (though I am considering it! -Neat project!), I would also mention to be careful if browsing items on-line to not buy the one that is only a key chain.  I am sure that would be too small.

I noted key chains in a package that looks very much like the package for the correct one (probably doesn't say Slinky Dog Junior on it though), though Slinky is facing the other direction.

-Dave

Last edited by Dave45681
Stoshu posted:
walt rapp posted:

I'm not too successful with adhesives so I ask: I ordered one from Amazon but am wondering what type of adhesive is STRONG enough to stop it from breaking loose of the truck?

as always - thanks

My wife gave me something call E6000. ( sold at Michael's and Amazon ) I'm not sure who makes it though. It  also comes in colors I used black... Mine has been field tested for about 10 months now so I recommend it.

did you see the email that I sent to you?

thanks - walt

walt rapp posted:
Stoshu posted:
walt rapp posted:

as always - thanks

did you see the email that I sent to you?

thanks - walt

Sorry no....

Bruce.....

Found a old motor for my slinky dog, just need traction tires full wave rectifier and cap (on order from China).

Planning to cut out some plastic white styrene sheets (paper pattern shown) for a base to attached the dogs front paws to (using screws) and putting a small box that looks like a present in front of the dog to hold the rectifier and cap.

Should I will put a small green soldier in the front to lead the way?

Also planning to keep the platform solid to the motor and front paws and the rear trucks solid to the rear paws so when it goes around corners it will stretch a bit to make it more noticeable.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
RonH posted:

Found a old motor for my slinky dog, just need traction tires full wave rectifier and cap (on order from China).

Planning to cut out some plastic white styrene sheets (paper pattern shown) for a base to attached the dogs front paws to (using screws) and putting a small box that looks like a present in front of the dog to hold the rectifier and cap.

Should I will put a small green soldier in the front to lead the way?

Also planning to keep the platform solid to the motor and front paws and the rear trucks solid to the rear paws so when it goes around corners it will stretch a bit to make it more noticeable.

Cool idea. You might consider a single diode to run the motor half wave. That way, it will not run too fast. Especially important with a postwar-type transformer that starts at 6-7 volts.

Can anyone tell me the overall width of the feet when they are placed on the platform that is to be mounted to the truck? I have some unused cheap Menards flatbeds that I was just thinking of cutting up, leaving just enough platform above each truck to place the feet of the dog on and secure them to that platform or portion of the Menards flatbed. Just wondering if that flatbed is wide enough.

Chime in if you can measure one that you have.

Thanks.

mustang posted:

Can anyone tell me the overall width of the feet when they are placed on the platform that is to be mounted to the truck? I have some unused cheap Menards flatbeds that I was just thinking of cutting up, leaving just enough platform above each truck to place the feet of the dog on and secure them to that platform or portion of the Menards flatbed. Just wondering if that flatbed is wide enough.

Chime in if you can measure one that you have.

Thanks.

Took a quick measurement of the front paws. On the widest width it measured 2 3/8 for me

RonH posted

Took a quick measurement of the front paws. On the widest width it measured 2 3/8 for me

For those still building one of these, here is a picture of the plate I made. Just standard 18ga sheet metal stock.  2 1/4 X 1 1/4 " Also if you plan to use plastic trucks , you may have to add some weight to get the desired effect....

plate

Attachments

Images (1)
  • plate
walt rapp posted:

Did I  buy the right one?? It sure seems big!

- walt

Looks like the same one that I purchased used on eBay.
The widest part of the feet should be about 2 3/8 inch wide.
Using a motorized truck for the front so it can be self propelled.
I know it looks tall and as gunrunner stated, be careful on any tunnel or overhanging accessories.
Just found a sheet of Plastruct (plastic sheet 0.100 thick) for the a platform for the feet on the trucks.
Marking this up today and will cut out.
I will try to take some pictures of my progress tp post and hope that everyone else will do the same as other approches will bring some new ideas on how to

Just a idea.

Working on my slinky dog and want to use screws to hold it to the base.

Took the wheels of the dogs feet by using a xacto knife and sliding off both plastic axles on the wheel, then pulling the wheel of and slicing off a little tab that is also on the bottom of the foot. Going to fill the void up completely with JBWeld. Once this is cured will drill a hole and tap it for a 4-40 or 2-56 screw. Then I will counter sink the plastic base to accept a flat head screw. Should work, just did not want to glue the feet down to the plastic base. Anybody else have any other ideas?

If it helps anyone plan, here is my "JR" version showing height.  The trucks are regular MTH Railking ones and the plastic base is .4mm plastic.  I should have put it on track to get a better picture but I didn't think of that at the time and when I did I didn't want to disturb the adhesive as I just applied it and it hadn't cured yet.  I can do it with track after I'm comfortable handling it.

- walt

Shows height on truck

This is an MTH portal:

Clearance of MTH portal

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Shows height on truck
  • Clearance of MTH portal

Did some work on my Slinky dog (moving along slowly).

As stated before I removed the wheel and a little plastic knob from the bottom of the feet so the foot will sit flat on the platform.
Had a problem as one of the feet were knocked off from the leg and JB Weld to the rescue (the foot is drying now).
Tonight I will fill the 4 square holes in with JB weld and the following day I will drill and tap it for a 2-57 screw.

The platform for the motor is done. This was my second attempt as the first platform was to thick and the c-clip could not fit on.

With the c-clip and the two metal knobs on the motor the plastic is held very secure.

I will post some pictures in a couple of days on the filling in of the holes and drilling/tapping/mounting the front paws to the platform.

Still have to find a boom car that I have (need the boom for something else) for the truck/coupler.

Question:

Would anyone know if Lionels traction tires would fit the K-Line S-2 wheels.
Found the k-line traction tires on line for $7.00 for 14 but the shipping and handling would bring the price to $19 and change.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
gunrunnerjohn posted:

I'm going to do something similar, but I'd like the platform to be trimmed to the feet.  I'll also probably color it black to blend in.

The platform plastic that I used is white.
Going to paint the bottom and sides brown like a cardboard color then I will print out parts of a monopoly board cut it out and glue it to the top. Also as my dogs feet will be screwed down what I was planning to to was to make it look like the dogs feet were tied to the platform by running string (several times) around the platform and feet with a bow on the top. On bottom of the platform where the string is ir will be glued to the bottom sides and cut off in the middle to allow for frame space if needed.

Just trying to duplicate what the toys would do in toy story Toy Story, plus it will be fun!

Last edited by RonH
walt rapp posted:

Here are pictures showing heights on track.

The dog does NOT clear.  Misses by mayby 1/16" to 1/8"

Portal clearance on roadbed track

walt

1) Nice job!

2) Are the front legs pivotable with respect to the body?  It looks like there are pivot points showing on the rear legs, but it's hard to tell on the front (ruler was in the way a little).  I don't know if that would be a viable solution (would change the direction of the collapsible axis of the spring a bit - which might not be a good idea), but it might be worth a shot as a trial.  1/16 might not need a lot of tilt to make him clear.

-Dave

Dave45681 posted:
walt rapp posted:

Here are pictures showing heights on track.

The dog does NOT clear.  Misses by mayby 1/16" to 1/8"

walt

1) Nice job!

2) Are the front legs pivotable with respect to the body?  It looks like there are pivot points showing on the rear legs, but it's hard to tell on the front (ruler was in the way a little).  I don't know if that would be a viable solution (would change the direction of the collapsible axis of the spring a bit - which might not be a good idea), but it might be worth a shot as a trial.  1/16 might not need a lot of tilt to make him clear.

-Dave

Hi Dave I also thought about that.

Hard to predict problems.
I m planning to keep the set of feet fixed to the platforms Motorized truck and trailing truck.
Both ways fixed or not fixed could have their own issues.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.