Skip to main content

This was one of the more interesting and fun projects I've done. I've field tested it and the kids love it....  SO...

Start with this

d1

Remove pull string and add a set of trucks with a metal mounting plate.

d2

Now add it to your favorite train. Thomas and friends seem to work the best...

He needs a little weight behind him for the effect.  Kids and families seem to relay enjoy this a shows.

Bruce....

d1

Attachments

Images (2)
  • d1
  • d2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not that price is everything, but I just checked Amazon and the first 2 that I saw went for $45 and $48 plus postage.  That's a bit of an ouch!

But it's such a neat and fun idea, maybe this is a case where money isn't the end-all-be-all determinant

Whoa, that is steep, I think I paid about half of that. Word has gotten out, Now there is a rush on them... 8-)

How about if you were to use one of the K-Line speeders or handcars with the Slinky Dog on two of the little flats.

That would work, but you would have to anchor the feet to the flat somehow. I would lean towards a set of trucks. Most people have a pair laying around anyway. There is some bumping and stress ( although very little )  on the trucks so gluing is important.

Joe Rampolla posted:

Hi Bruce,

I love it!!!!!!  Absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!!  What a wonderful idea!!!!!!   Lionel should purchase the idea from you and add it to their product-line in time for the next Toy Story movie release.

Take care, Joe.

Thanks Joe....  Sad thing is I already tried Lionel. I had Slinky dog at the Novi train show a couple week a go and showed it to one of the Lionel reps who said they liked it. To submit the idea go to the website and use the "contact us"  option.  Well I did and it's been 2 weeks and I've heard nothing. I thought It would be great with a toy story train considering Toy Story 4 is coming out.  Oh well so I figured I'd just post it and let forum members have fun with it. I wasn't looking to make and money off this, just trying share some fun with the hobby...

Thanks to everyone for their comments. If you make one post it here I'd like to see what you have done....

Bruce....

Stoshu posted:

Thanks Joe....  Sad thing is I already tried Lionel. I had Slinky dog at the Novi train show a couple week a go and showed it to one of the Lionel reps who said they liked it. To submit the idea go to the website and use the "contact us"  option.  Well I did and it's been 2 weeks and I've heard nothing. I thought It would be great with a toy story train considering Toy Story 4 is coming out.  Oh well so I figured I'd just post it and let forum members have fun with it. I wasn't looking to make and money off this, just trying share some fun with the hobby...

Thanks to everyone for their comments. If you make one post it here I'd like to see what you have done....

Bruce....

Hi Bruce,

That's really an insult to direct you to their web site.  Remember, these are the same people who brought out that lame Mega Tracks product.   They'll throw some Toy Story graphics on a box car at $89 a pop, that's their plan.   Lionel is in a excellent position to team with Pixar/Disney, and somehow forget they are toy manufacturers.  Well, maybe Bachmann is watching!  It would be so simple to produce; half the project is off-the-shelf, they already have the trucks, so just 2 square pieces of metal, screws, and done!  Just proves they have no vision or creativity.    Even though your idea is in the public domain now, they still could contact you.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Take care, Joe.

MNCW posted:

Bruce,

I think you may have solved the problem of slack action on real railroads...can't you see one of these full-size cars going around Horseshoe Curve? 

Tom 

go big or go home eh Tom.... Though that did spark and idea. Why not make a full-size slinky on on a skeleton Log car. Not one that would stretch but something to put behind say a real gondola. They could pull it from Disney in Florida to California when the movie premiers.  Could you imagine sitting at a crossing gate when at the end of the train here comes a twelve foot high slinky dog ?  If Walt was still alive I bet he consider it....

Bruce..

John...must admit, when I first saw the video that Bruce posted, I couldn’t resist either! Mine was delivered on Saturday and I was surprised to see that it was actually a “Springer Spaniel” in disguise...😳

Didn’t have any spare trucks...so waiting on those to be delivered now. Hoping that you will share your mounting and assembly techniques as a DIY here. Not sure who will have more fun...kids running this behind Thomas & Friends...or me...🤪

Last edited by UKE KAT

I don't know how you might do it but I keep thinking there should be some way to do a tie-in with the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile .

I'm also guessing that you can't have more than one Slinky Dog due to the weight requirement and relative lack of "pulling" ability/demand placed on the spring -- that is, slinking, weight car, slinky, weight car, etc.  A string of these "hot dogs" would be hilarious.

TRRR

Not to diminish your inventiveness, there was a G scale train at Trainfest 5 or 6 years back with a weiner mobile "engine" and slinky cars in tow.  They put a clear cylinder around the spring to keep it from slinkying.  It might have looked better inside the spring or put a clear rod in the middle.  It is a good idea as evidenced by the fact that I remembered it (I don't remember today's lunch).

Brendan

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
Brendan posted:

Not to diminish your inventiveness, there was a G scale train at Trainfest 5 or 6 years back with a weiner mobile "engine" and slinky cars in tow.  They put a clear cylinder around the spring to keep it from slinkying.  It might have looked better inside the spring or put a clear rod in the middle.  It is a good idea as evidenced by the fact that I remembered it (I don't remember today's lunch).

Brendan

Now that is a good idea also. A mom with her pups... although the pups are only 5" high they would fit through a tunnel portal. Mom not so much. But it really looks neat...

TomlinsonRunRR posted:

I'm also guessing that you can't have more than one Slinky Dog due to the weight requirement and relative lack of "pulling" ability/demand placed on the spring -- that is, slinking, weight car, slinky, weight car, etc.  A string of these "hot dogs" would be hilarious.

TRRR

You may have to experiment with what you put behind it. It does require a little weight to make it work right. I've used 1 or 2 sodor cabeese.   Also the plate is 1 1/4" X 2 1/4" here is a quick picture. Hope it helps...

plate1

Attachments

Images (1)
  • plate1

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.