Skip to main content

gunrunnerjohn posted:

I don't know that I'll be gluing it down, I plan on mechanical mounting.  Of course, another possibility is this power truck from a Williams 44-ton locomotive, it would be a perfect match for the job.  Then the puppy could roll on it's own!

Good idea. I have one that I was going to use on a ETS small steeple cab frame and shell. Who know this may be better

Last edited by RonH
walt rapp posted:

I'm not too successful with adhesives so I ask: I ordered one from Amazon but am wondering what type of adhesive is STRONG enough to stop it from breaking loose of the truck?

as always - thanks

My wife gave me something call E6000. ( sold at Michael's and Amazon ) I'm not sure who makes it though. It  also comes in colors I used black... Mine has been field tested for about 10 months now so I recommend it.

I may not have been clear to John and others, but I think STOSHU got me.  I meant an adhesive to stop the DOG itself from pulling away from the truck.  I've already figured out how to attach a "base" to the trucks I'm using, using screws, so that's not my issue.  Keeping the DOG firmly connected is though.

STOSHU: thanks, I'll look for that.  I've heard of it but never tried it.  Don't know if it's anything like ALENE's, but I've used ALENE's many times on "slippy" surfaces, but not ones that are under pressure like this dog's paws will be.

- walt

How about on 2 bump n go frames? With the bumpers tied together and reverse disconnected so each shuts off alternately rather than reversing.

Front moves forward until the stationary rear pulls on its rear bumper shutting off the front, and the pull also pulls the front bumper of the rear, so it moves forward.  When it hits the front car, the rear car shuts off, and the front car's rear bumber is pressed at the same time so it starts moving and the cycle repeats.

Of course you could go with smaller critters and use micro- limit switches.

Hey, how about a Marx plastic covered wagon team pulling an old Gravy Train car and the dog chasing it

This could get competitive... no dogfights, or airplane battles please .

🎵My dog's faster than your dog, my dog's bigger than yours. My dog's better cause he gets Ken-L Ration, my dog's better than yours. 🎵

(an old Tom Paxton tune & commercial sung by Richard Marx as a kid.... I told ya'll I collected cover tunes )

Learned a lesson about Amazon with this: I went and saw a wide variety of "slinky" dogs with a wide variety in pricing.  Here's the one that I ordered:

I just assumed that the body was a spring - this one is SUPPOSED to be an authentic toy story one just I bought it.  Plus it has the word "slinky" in the title.  Got it yesterday.  UGH!!!!!!!!  Will ship it back.  the body is a plastic, expandable "tube" like a dryer vent plastic outlet tube.  I can expand it by hand but it doesn't retract unless I push it closed.  That's NOT what I call a "slinky" effect.

Now I know why some cost in the $45 to $50 range while there are also cheaper ones.  this is a cheap one.

I'll have to remember to look WAY closer when I look for the one that I want.

- walt

Attachments

Images (1)
walt rapp posted:

Learned a lesson about Amazon with this: I went and saw a wide variety of "slinky" dogs with a wide variety in pricing.  Here's the one that I ordered:

I just assumed that the body was a spring - this one is SUPPOSED to be an authentic toy story one just I bought it.  Plus it has the word "slinky" in the title.  Got it yesterday.  UGH!!!!!!!!  Will ship it back.  the body is a plastic, expandable "tube" like a dryer vent plastic outlet tube.  I can expand it by hand but it doesn't retract unless I push it closed.  That's NOT what I call a "slinky" effect.

Now I know why some cost in the $45 to $50 range while there are also cheaper ones.  this is a cheap one.

I'll have to remember to look WAY closer when I look for the one that I want.

- walt

I ordered a used one with a good metal spring. Just wondering if the metal spring will ever sag to short the track out.
Any way I paid $12 for the used one with $4 shipping. Just keep looking:
)

Big Jim posted:
walt rapp posted:
Big Jim posted:

Screws I said!

So are you saying to screw the paws to the plate?

thanks - walt

Sure, why not? Go from underneath up.

To keep plastic from cracking if brittle consider heating the screw to set it. Using a stainless steel screw , it should resist sticking and the screw can be removed leaving theads behind.

This also works pretty well in wet JB weld. 

A light coating of grease on threads and you can use plain screws, or even machine screws in wet JBW, in essence molding threads.

Once very firm, but not fully cured is usually the best time to make sure the screw can turn and isn't sticking. 

Of course using it or another epoxy to glue it would likey work too.  Using holes it can form a "liquid rivet".

Big Jim posted:
walt rapp posted:
Big Jim posted:

Screws I said!

So are you saying to screw the paws to the plate?

thanks - walt

Sure, why not? Go from underneath up.

Of course, I say this assuming that you know to first drill a proper pilot hole in the plastic to keep it from splitting before driving the screw.

Just a FYI, there are various sizes for this dog. I just got mint from eBay and it is the smaller one like the one on this post. There is a larger size that uses the regular size slinky and this one the dogs heat to ground is about 7 inches, good for standard gauge. The one I got is about 3 inches tall and will be good for O gauge. I will  send some photos later on.

I

gunrunnerjohn posted:

I ended up with the big one, I didn't find a smaller one that actually had a slinky spring.

I looked again, apparently the correct one is the Slinky Dog Jr.

You are right John. The picture I uploaded had the lower right corner cut off.. here is a better picture that should help everyone. Sorry for the confusion.

d5

Attachments

Images (1)
  • d5
gunrunnerjohn posted:

I ended up with the big one, I didn't find a smaller one that actually had a slinky spring.

I looked again, apparently the correct one is the Slinky Dog Jr.

I ended up with the big one also. Too bad, but maybe one of the neighbor kids would like it. It's not worth sending back as the shipping cost is half the total price. Also, since it was MY mistake, there is no reason the seller should suffer.

No one has mentioned falling into this problem yet, but another thing to be careful of when ordering.

While I did not order one of these yet (though I am considering it! -Neat project!), I would also mention to be careful if browsing items on-line to not buy the one that is only a key chain.  I am sure that would be too small.

I noted key chains in a package that looks very much like the package for the correct one (probably doesn't say Slinky Dog Junior on it though), though Slinky is facing the other direction.

-Dave

Last edited by Dave45681
Stoshu posted:
walt rapp posted:

I'm not too successful with adhesives so I ask: I ordered one from Amazon but am wondering what type of adhesive is STRONG enough to stop it from breaking loose of the truck?

as always - thanks

My wife gave me something call E6000. ( sold at Michael's and Amazon ) I'm not sure who makes it though. It  also comes in colors I used black... Mine has been field tested for about 10 months now so I recommend it.

did you see the email that I sent to you?

thanks - walt

walt rapp posted:
Stoshu posted:
walt rapp posted:

as always - thanks

did you see the email that I sent to you?

thanks - walt

Sorry no....

Bruce.....

Found a old motor for my slinky dog, just need traction tires full wave rectifier and cap (on order from China).

Planning to cut out some plastic white styrene sheets (paper pattern shown) for a base to attached the dogs front paws to (using screws) and putting a small box that looks like a present in front of the dog to hold the rectifier and cap.

Should I will put a small green soldier in the front to lead the way?

Also planning to keep the platform solid to the motor and front paws and the rear trucks solid to the rear paws so when it goes around corners it will stretch a bit to make it more noticeable.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.