Skip to main content

On the for sale or trade forum there is a listing for a 3-Rail Stud-Rail layout.  It is a very realistic looking track system.  Can someone familiar with it explain how it works, who manufactured it and when?  I assume there is a stud sticking up between the ties and the locomotives had long slide shoe pickups but I am not sure and cannot tell from the pictures.  I would like to learn more about it.

Thanks much,  Jim Lawson

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You really need a non-roller type center pickup, as on the old Marx and all - the big flat plate.  The ties have tiny studs that are the center "rail" and the big long slide goes from one to the other.  

Try to run a roller center pickup on it and it doesn't work smoothly (sometimes the loco just sites there not making contact) and if you get it going, it sounds a bit like a bicycle with a playing card clothes-pinnned to the wheel.  And its probably not good for the rollers of the studs, either. 

I think Len2 on this forum has experience with studded center rail track.

Last edited by Lee Willis
Originally Posted by Lee Willis:

You really need a non-roller type center pickup, as on the old Marx and all - the big flat plate.  The ties have tiny studs that are the center "rail" and the big long slide goes from one to the other.  

Try to run a roller center pickup on it and it doesn't work smoothly

Correct.  And on that topic, the other O-gauger magazine had an article years ago about an inventor who had created "skis" having a C-shaped clip on top that would attach to the rollers.  Then the loco would ski over the studs.

Originally Posted by bob2:

. . .  going 2-rail was less expensive, more reliable, and lots easier.

Definitely. It's not that it won't work, its just that it is a lot of hassle and requires the use of non-standard "stuff" making it rather hard going compared to three- or two-rail modeling.  

And if that third-rail bothers you from the standpoint of realism, probably having little dots in the middle of each tie will probably bother your sense of prototypical aesthetics, too.  

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.