Skip to main content

rex desilets posted:
bob2 posted:

I did not spot them, and I am a stickler for grammar and spelling.  You have become a master builder - next step for you is 2-rail.  Very nice.

Got to be able to run on the AGHR club layout.

Besides, unless you squint hard at the wheel flanges, how can you tell it from 2R?

Rex: the Lobaugh conversion Bob did with the Williams mike mechanism is mine.  If you need any pictures I’m happy to post them.

Don

CentralFan1976 posted:
cnwdon posted:

Rex: the Lobaugh conversion Bob did with the Williams mike mechanism is mine.  If you need any pictures I’m happy to post them.

Don

Yes please. 

Rex: should have been more clear: I haven't taken photos so far.  I meant, if there are details you'd like me to try to photograph for you to see how Bob did something, I'm happy to take them and post for you.

Don

I just scanned this entire thread again.  I think I already posted my share of Berk photos on page one.  Best I can tell you is I recall we simply removed the Lobaugh mechanism in its entirety, saving only lead and trailing trucks for the conversion.  Then I adapted the Williams mechanism, again in its entirety, to the Lobaugh boiler.  It took tailbeam modifications, the addition of the Lobaugh air pumps and ladders to the pilot beam, and maybe some changes to how the frame screwed to the boiler.

I am really struck by the really superb workmanship on this particular model.  Go back and look at that smokebox front mod - stellar!  We 2-railers do not often go that far - I assure you none of my Lobaugh locomotives have a smokebox front that good (except for the lost-wax Mikes).

Not sure I saved a mechanism shot - will look now.

Yes.  Best I can do is these two shots - before and after.  The first shot is the boiler just sitting on the stock Williams frame.  Second shot, you can see that I modified the tail beam.  Beyond that, I just do not remember any real difficulty.

This is not an inexpensive swap, but I did it in return for keeping the Lobaugh mechanism.  I would do that again - it is about a four hour swap, and the Lobaugh frame alone is worth $100, so I am giving away my labor, sort of (normal shop rates are $60/hr around here).  The W Mikados can be had for $200 if you look; The Lobaugh Berk in reasonable shape is $350.  Lots of both out there.Lobaugh Williams 001Lobaugh Williams 005

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Lobaugh Williams 001
  • Lobaugh Williams 005

As Bob's customer on this, one more aspect: to get the trailing truck to work smoothly on my roughly 32" (O-64) minimum mainline radius, I had to cover the motor carefully and hog out a bit more material with a grinding stone under the cab.  Bob replied with an electronic cringe when informed of this.  Otherwise it arrived in completely ready to operate condition (on DC).  I have to do the TMCC/ERRCo installation to get the final result, and that is the next installation on my list.  The chief mechanic moves slowly around here   Having this berk converted to operate on my C&NW Lines was a dream for some years before this came to pass.  Now it can "enjoy" the same mainline privileges it had on the prototype: no more than 35 mph because it was so poorly balanced it tore up track structure, cracked its own frame, etc.  The crew assigned to an all-rail ore job on the Galena division will have to stay out of the way of all other traffic!

@cnwdon posted:

RE: BATTERY/RC

At the easiest level, for my track cleaning train magnet car wanted a battery loco for hauling it around when there’s a short I can’t find, to pick up errant staples, etc.  Took grandson’s abandoned Thomas remote control loco, disconnected roller and common wires from rollers and board.  12 AA batteries in series, in three 4-each holders, now powers Thomas from a trailing gondola.  Any LionChief loco that can run on 18v DC or AC at track could operate this way.  Someone with the skills could take a LionChief steam loco as the donor and run a DC-motored steamer this way, I think.  Have done a little battery research, still don’t think I’ve found a perfectly suited rechargeable battery pack that could live in an O boxcar, but someone knows of one I’m sure.

Don

Look for "Ironbound".   Andy Romano has been running RC Battery. for several years now, and I'm pretty sure he hid his battery packs in a boxcar. Add to that the improvements in batteries that likely have occurred over the years. There is also a guy named Bob Delbridge who ia a Seaboard nut that runs RC battery who posts on this forum. Don't know where he hides his battery packs.

Simon

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.