Skip to main content

I just received a #313 bascule bridge.  Before I go any further, I would like to thank a couple of members for offering to sell me one.  It was a tough decision but in the end I had to make a choice.

I have already tested the bridge and it works rather well.  I did notice some hesitation while it is in the raising mode.  About halfway up it seems to run out of steam.  I checked the motor brushes and cleaned the commutator.  I would like to do a bit more investigative maintenance, but lack the proper repair manual.  I have the K-Line, Lionel Repair Book but it doesn't go into enough detail.  

If anyone with experience with the 313 bridge can head me toward some more information, it would be appreciated.  This bridge has the spring, connecting the motor armature to the gearbox.    

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

After a bit of lubrication, with oil, on the visible armature shafts and the shaft of the cam that controls the contacts, the operation is quieter and smoother.  I would like to get into the gear box inside of the tower, but I hesitate to lift the lid for fear of parts flying.  The previous owner did had not operated the bridge for fifteen years.  

Dan,   The pdf is more oriented toward setup and operation while the article by Plumber leans toward repair.  The pdf does contain a parts list which is very helpful and good information on assembly / disassembly of the bridge.  The article by Plumber does have an excellent wiring diagram of this accessory and gives a very good explanation of the mechanical and electrical functioning of its parts.  If you have repaired a Lionel "O gauge" uncoupling track controller, you should have no problem with the wafer switch disassembly, they are similar.  If you have ever worked on a Lionel 397 coal loader gearbox or a 364 lumber loader gearbox, you should have no problem with the 313 gearbox.     Earl G.

Dan,  I have rebuilt a couple 313 Bascule bridges and they are not that complicated.  I used the Luppold printing and inspection of one bridge assembly for working on the other.  The gearbox has no springs inside and simple to disassemble for cleaning and relubrication.  One bridge I have (that had been completely repainted silver!) was a prewar grey version.  The gearbox on the prewar is different from the postwar, and is a more "direct drive".  I enjoy my two bridges, both work fine and have been able to maintain one in original condition.  

Jesse   TCA

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 100_7356
  • 100_7358
  • Compare Prewar (L) and Postwar (R) gear boxes
  • 100_7360
Videos (1)
313 in operation after rebuild
Files (1)
lightningstripe posted:

A Lionel 96C or a 90 controller wired between terminals #2 and #3 should work.   Earl G.

There is also a way to control the bridge remotely using the Lionel Accessory Switch Controller. If anyone is interested I’ll e-mail you a copy of the instructions.

Also, there is an OTT Machine Shop Bascule Bridge sound system for sale on e-bay if anyone is interested. OTT made the best bridge sound.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.