Skip to main content

Hello. I am fairly new to trains, and have been putting together an O gauge layout for my kids. My dad has recently offered me his American Flyer 322 S gauge set. I plan to work it into my layout. My dad had the locomotive serviced some 25 years ago, and it worked then. It was ran minimally then, and has been in storage ever since. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for getting this train going again. I would imagine its going to need some lubricating or maintenance of some sort. Also, do I need to buy smoke pellets, or smoke fluid? If so, does anyone have a good brand to recommend? Any advice would be appreciated. Remember, I'm a beginner here, so if its too complicated, I'll just take it somewhere to be serviced.

Original Post

I'd try it out first. But before you run it for anything more than a test, the locomotive and cars should be lubricated. There is a possibility that some of the electrical contacts such as the reversing unit surfaces and the motor's commutator have become oxidized, and are in need of cleaning.

Typically, when a Flyer locomotive comes to me for service, the wheels that pick up power from the track need to be cleaned as well.  Some locos have  buttons that slides along the tops of the rails. I don't think your engine has them, but if it does, they probably need cleaning too.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.