Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is the replacement armature absolutely identical to the armature that was removed? There were variations over the years.

Is your loco smoke in tender, or smoke in boiler? In other words, where is the reverse unit located?

Does the armature turn freely when it it installed?

Why was the armature replaced? Why were the bushings replaced?

Are you applying power through the reverse unit first?

This motor is series wound. That means the power goes through the field, then through the armature, then back to the power source.

The more information you give, the better we can figure out what is wrong.

Last edited by RoyBoy

Presumably this is an American Flyer locomotive. The first thing to do is check the wiring. If you are powering up the motor directly, first disconnect the harness to the tender. Power to the motor from one transformer lead goes to one brush connection. The other brush connection gets connected via a jumper wire to one field winding. The other field winding goes to ground, where the other transformer wire is also connected.

Power up the transformer, and if everything is installed and wired properly, the motor should run. If it does, reverse the wires to the brushes and the motor should run in the opposite direction.

If the motor does not run, without power, try and turn the armature by hand. It should turn and slowly turn the wheels. Also recheck all the connections.

Larry

Did it run prior to the repairs? When you apply power just to the motor do you have the field and armature wired in series? You cannot apply power just to the brush caps.

Almost all 322's were made with armatures that had no oil slinger. Armatures with oil slingers were introduced with October 1949 production. Oil slinger armatures are 1/16" longer and require a different brush holder. Does it have slotted or shoulder style brushes? Is the reverse unit in the engine or tender? The armature resistance from pole to pole must be between 1.4 to 1.6 ohms. Commutator to the metal shaft should be infinite. The resistance of the field should be 1.2 to 1.4 ohms. Use a meter to check them.

TrainLarry posted:

Presumably this is an American Flyer locomotive. The first thing to do is check the wiring. If you are powering up the motor directly, first disconnect the harness to the tender. Power to the motor from one transformer lead goes to one brush connection. The other brush connection gets connected via a jumper wire to one field winding. The other field winding goes to ground, where the other transformer wire is also connected.

Power up the transformer, and if everything is installed and wired properly, the motor should run. If it does, reverse the wires to the brushes and the motor should run in the opposite direction.

If the motor does not run, without power, try and turn the armature by hand. It should turn and slowly turn the wheels. Also recheck all the connections.

Larry

Larry thank you very much for.your answers still  wont run I put power straight to the bushing the armature gets power but when I hand turn the amature I get a spark but the armature won't turn over I tried switching the power wires the armature won't still turn over the armature turns freely by hand replaced   brushes springs and armature if you have any ideas what im doing wrong I would surely appreciate yiur help very much thank you 

May you and your family stay safe from the invisible monster god bless 

TrainLarry posted:

Larry

Larry thank you very much for.your answers still  wont run I put power straight to the bushing the armature gets power but when I hand turn the amature I get a spark but the armature won't turn over I tried switching the power wires the armature won't still turn over the armature tpurns freely by hand replaced   brushes springs and armature if you have any ideas what im doing wrong I would surely appreciate yiur help very much thank you 

May you and your family stay safe from the invisible monster god bless 

TrainLarty 

Thank you for answer first if all .Im  highly dyslexic.

Working on a 322 

Ok I ran my transformer power right straight to the bruhes tried switching joy eire to either brush I just get a spark fton the armature I replace the armstute springs and bushungd all new and I have the exact same armature as I replaced I now the power that goes in the in one bushing comes out the other bushing so I it's getting power but the armature still wont turn. I can turn the armature by hand  but won't turn by power so what im I doing wrong 

Thank u for yiur time and you a CD yiur family be safe fit the invisible monster

Thank you and God bless you and yiur family 

Is this how you have the wires. Jumper from field to brush.

Then transformer leads .

One to brush.

One to ground.

If this does not do it.. Then some is wrong somewhere.

Commutator might be shorted.

Like was said. 

You can switch brush tube wires and it will run other way. 

How are brushes and springs.. Brushes move in tube no binding?

Are springs weak?.

image_2020-04-14_02-06

Attachments

Images (1)
  • image_2020-04-14_02-06: Drawing.
Last edited by riki

I think we are going around in circles here. Below are a couple of my 322’s, the one on the left has the reverse unit in the engine and the one on the right has the reverse unit in the tender, which version do you have?

if you have the one on the left then you would apply power from an AC transformer into the two sockets on the brown board and it will run, but only if everything is in good order, especially the reverse unit.

if you have the one on the right then it would need the tender to be plugged in to enable the motor to function in its normal setup. If you wish to run the motor without the tender then as several people have posted, you will need to strap the field coil to the armature to ‘Jerry’ rig it to work. Again, if you have the one on the right and the brown panel has not been altered for the wiring behind it then you need to get a spare piece of wire about three inches long with each end bare wire and insert one end into sockets second from the left and the other end far right.
Do not count the brass eyelet as a connection point that sits above the third hole from the left. The two wires from the transformer have one wire in first socket on left and third from the left. If everything is good then the motor should run in one direction. Do you have the tender for this engine?

2D2A052D-4088-40B9-8C70-2BC45E6DAE94

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2D2A052D-4088-40B9-8C70-2BC45E6DAE94

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.