Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

THIS IS GREAT! BUT I'M UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THERE ARE 2 TYPES OF PUL - MOR

WHEELS.  THE FIRST APPARENTLY DIDN'T / DOESN'T HAVE IN - THE - FIELD REPLACEABLE RUNNING SURFACES. THE LATTER HAVE READILY REPLACEABLE TIRES.  IS THIS CORRECT?

I'M NOT REMOTELY CAPABLE OF DOING ANY OF THIS STUFF, SO I'D HAVE TO, IMPOSE UPON A GREAT BUDDY TO DO IT FOR ME. IF IT'D ENTAIL A LONG (WHATEVER THAT IS) WAIT, THEN I COULDN'T RUN MY TRAINS.  THAT COULD JU$TIFY GETTING A $ECOND ENGINE, BUT NOT TO

A CERTAIN $POUSE.

GULP!

SHIFFY

@RoyBoy posted:

I have never seen replaceable tires on a postwar Flyer locomotive. All the pul-mor tires on postwar and prewar flyer that I have seen were vulcanized onto the rim.

I hadn't either but Portlines apparently sells a replacement that is applied using superglue. I have never had a Gilbert steamer with pullmor tires that needed replacement. They always seem pretty bulletproof.

Shiffy: Get a 343 or later and tell your spouse you'll sell the 342. Then, never get around to it.

According to the Gilbert Factory Service Manual and the parts list all the KC PRR Pacifics and NYC Hudsons through the end of 1958 production used Pul-Mor wheel #XA13A864 which has a permanently installed rubber tire in the outer metal wheel. Beginning in 1959, engines made with the newly introduced split chassis used Pul-Mor wheel #XA14A598 which has a separately installed rubber tire #PA14A869.

@MTN posted:

Are the drivers of the Flyer 342 and 343 interchangeable? The 342 doesn't show up with Pul-Mor, while the 343/346/21145 do have traction tires - are the diameters of the 342 and 343 drivers identical (can Pul-Mor equipped drivers be added to the 342)?

The lead drivers on PullMor steamers were of a slightly larger diameter so as to match the diameter of the PullMor rear driver. If you were to put PullMors on the rear driver of a 342 it would not sit level due to the smaller diameter of the front drivers.

AC

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.