Skip to main content

The Lionel Service Manual calls for lubricating the 3662 Milkcar dash pot with a mixture of oil and Molykote. However, Molykote is a family of hundreds of lubricants.  Maybe originally what Lionel intended was for an oil moly disulfide mixture.  I do not know.  Does anybody have a recommendation for an appropriate lubricant for this application?  Thanks, David Johnston. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The 3662 dash pot is there to slow down the motion of the milkman.  The correct lubricant forms a seal between the piston and the cylinder wall.  There is a small hole in the end of the cylinder that lets air in and out.  With a tight seal, the air is forced out and allowed in slowly and the milkman slowly opens the door, gently sets the can on the platform then slowly goes back into the car. 

Without a seal in the pot, the man zooms out, launches a can across the platform and zooms back into the car.  This is the action of the 3462 027 car and is why the milk cans for that car have magnets in the bottom, so they'll stick to the platform as they are thrown out of the car.

You want a lubricant thicker than oil but thinner than automotive grease.  I used some black moly grease from Woodland Scenics (part of their Hob-E-Lube line).  I don't recall needing to thin it.  Using a finger, I smeared a very thin layer on the inside of the cylinder and on the outside of the piston.  The before and after difference in operation of the car was AMAZING.

Good luck!

Personally I like seeing how far I can get the car to throw the cans

Seriously, though, the above advice is right on.

Also, side note:

I installed the old ERR Milk Car control in both my old postwar milk Cars.  They have an electronic adjustment that you can play wot upon installation.   Doing this, I was able to really calm down the milk man so he's not throwing frozen ropes anymore.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.