Skip to main content

hello everyone trainfam here,

I have a 38 in a collection, which I adore very much, however it seems to be having some issues. I just got some restored track off of eBay and decided to run my 38 on it. However when it goes around the curved track, the wheels seem to bind and won’t budge. Could anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Trainfam 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just for giggles, did you try to run the train in the opposite direction around the curve?
If it still binds, I would try and take the side rods off the wheels on both sides and try it again.

Side rail holes may be worn and may cause the wheels to bind.

I am not a expert but having a similar problem where may have to re-gauge a wheel on one side a my side rods are new.

You probably have a worn compound gear -as stated above.  This would account for the fact it runs in reverse but not forward.. the gear gets more wear in the direction it is most used—Forward.  Just replace it and check all other gears for wear too.

Your wheels might be slightly out of quarter also. This some times happens if they slip on the axels and are out of gauge (get wider and pop off the the compound gear).

Olsen's kindly hosts service information for much of the older Lionel, including your 38 and many STD Gauge motors:

http://www.olsenstoy.com/searchcd31.htm?itm=966

http://www.olsenstoy.com/searchcd2t.htm

Forum Sponsor, @Harry Henning seems they may have the correct compound gear, but he could for sure let you know which part number would be correct and if he can supply it:

https://hennings-trains.shopli...40p-25t-w-screw.html

Last edited by bmoran4

Rocking could be a tweaked frame or bad axle bushings too. Re-tweaking is possible. Also may need to re-stake things if its bad.

Bad axle bushings can compound the gear issue, or be the issue alone. Grab a wheel and feel for an oblong bearing. An oblong bearing causes excessive "runout" an the wheel o.d. (wheel gear o.d. too).

You need to measure/inspect/compare the wheels, not assume. Also measure from surface to frame bottom for corners to sit level (or close, the machined axleholes are the real reference)  Just as likely the track isn't level.

Gearside especially, the wheels must be true for good, even,gear mesh. A bent axle on the plain side might be straightened añd live many many years. I've simply used a vice before (& wood in the jaws )  À bent axle on the gearside means gears will go tight, then loose until it wears in (closer to worn out )

But the axle is more likey the issue than a wheel (assuming quartering is ok too; etc)

Gear/post being loose is just as bad as a loose axle bearing, the usual cause of gear screeching that usually notes an upcoming binding issues; a sandlike hesitation in the gearing, etc.

So, I'd look at my bushings, gear ,and post first. If the wheel gear teeth don't look worn over/soft edged, tracked, spotty wear, concave, etc. under close inspection, it's likely fine.

Ideally to check for wheel trueness you run a dial gauge on the wheel o.d. at 90° to the axle, then on the wheel face at the o.d. parallel to the axle. (and "in and out" axle slop is "thrust clearance")  Doing it at 0° then 180° (or), 90° , 270° shows bore alignment if the frame can be referenced. 

Feeler gauges or homemade go/no go blocks can also reveal issues with trueness just as well as a fancy dial

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.