Skip to main content

Need help with a couple of troubleshooting questions.

Recently purchased a 38094 Hiawatha steamer.  Engine was brand new - still in the sealed outer carton.  Lubed it and put it on the track.  Grease was applied into the screw hole marked "grease".  

Using conventional power (MRC pure power dual and MTH Z-1000), the engine will run smoothly up to just under 11 volts.  At 11 volts and higher, the engine will run for about a foot, pause for about a second, run for about a foot (same direction), pause, and repeat this sequence indefinitely.  I get the same results in reverse, and with Odyssey switch on or off.  The drivers cannot be turned by hand (I don't know if they should be on this engine).  Sounds and lights appear to function properly.  Engine and tender draw about 1.5 amps at 10 volts.  With 6 cars (it won't pull all 7), it draws 3 amps at 10.5 volts.

Also, the smoke unit does not puff (switch is on), but it seems to heat up, since smoke just kind of seeps up.

I've opened it up to check for loose wires, etc.  Nothing was obvious, at least to me.

Any suggestions?  

Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TMCC locomotives don't have back driveable gears, so you can't turn the wheels without power.

Did you try turning the motor flywheel by hand with the drive wheels suspended?  It should turn smoothly with no binding through a complete rev of the drive wheels.

It has fan driven smoke, so the fan isn't running.  Do you get chuff sounds?  If so, it has a "smart" smoke unit, I'd be looking around there for the reason you don't get the puffing smoke.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Flywheel turns smoothly and freely, and the drivers make a full revolution without binding.  What should be checked next?  I did not observe any binding in the drive rods.

Chuff sounds work, so not sure what is meant by "looking around there" on the smart smoke unit.  I did notice that one of the two screws that hold the smoke unit in place was missing, for whatever that's worth.

Unit has a smoke driven fan unit, so check that the fan is spinning.  If not may be the 5V motor regulator, bad motor, or binding.  Pull the motor driver harnesses and reinstall.  Check motor magnet on flywheel for cracks.

But the first think to do is do a R2LC reset with the code from the manual.  G

I don't have command control, and the manual only gives instructions for resetting via TMCC.  I use a conventional AC transformer - is there another way to reset?  And unfortunately, I don't have components to swap in and out.

Thanks for the ideas, but unless there's another brainstorm for making it run smoothly, I think it's time to send it off to the local repair guy.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.