Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The ultimate test of a track cleaning car is ...

After you've run the car around the layout several times, re-do the job by hand with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and a white rag.  What's shown on the rag is what the car missed. An eye-opening experience!

I occasionally use the four track-cleaning cars I bought for my layout. Now 82, I'm not as agile as I once was, so I'm content with "letting the TC cars do the work as best as they can" and accept that result.

Tip 1:  The other half of the cleaning task is to clean the wheels and pick-up rollers of the locos and rolling stock in your collection. Otherwise, carbon and gunk from the rails is transferred to the wheels and back to the rails as an endless cycle of carbon/gunk exchange.

Tip 2:  I place my locos upside down in a foam cradle for easy access to the wheels, then a connect a Lionel 1033 transformer (+) and (-) leads to the pick-up roller(s) and the grounded frame respectively and spin the wheels via the throttle. Then I press a soaked Q-tip to the wheels and remove the carbon/gunk until it's gone. Let the loco motor do the work!

Carry on, regardless ...

Mike Mottler    LCCA 12394

@RickM46 posted:

Corey, I have 2 track cleaning cars, had them refurbished by Pat at Harmonyards; he did an amazing job of restoration; if you have any issues he is your man; you can see my threads here:

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...leaning-car-repaired

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...track-cleaning-car-1

Thank you. I’ve ran it once and it did a great job. I’m going to open it up and clean it so that I can run it again this weekend.

@RickM46 posted:

Thanks Corey,

Can you keep us up on how effective your car and fluid are??  Any description of the ingredients in the fluid??  I am reaching way back here but I think 409 was another cleaner discussed.  I think using Isopropyl 91 alcohol was discussed but due to its volatility, there was caution.

I’ll definitely let you know. I’ll do a video soon also. No ingredients on the bottle. I’ve heard people say they use 409 but I think I’ll stick with this. I know I’ve read in more than one place that isopropyl is no good.

Attachments

Images (1)

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.