Skip to main content

I got an old style #394 beacon tower because I bought something else and the seller just threw it in the box free of charge.  Guess that is a way to thin stuff out.  It is weathered, but not rusty, and it was  missing bulb and beacon, but lucky me,  I had a beacon for it that arrived in another box of stuff I found elsewhere.  The beacon is missing one of its metal flaps.  Bought some dimple bulbs and do get a faint movement.   Took a bit to get it leveled up in both axes. I think the missing flap is letting too much heat escape, so maybe a bit of tin foil to plug it up.  I know these never did work great, but has anyone  figured out an optimum adjustment on the flaps at the top of the beacon?  Did note that when you get it to spinning with a push, it spins for a very long time until it slows to a crawl as mine seems to do.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Your ceiling fan providing some 'oomph' to the beacon is very similar to a solution I saw on a layout tour.  The chap had acquired a cheap small clip-on personal fan which he had attached to the ceiling grid above and to one side of the tower location.  He had found a fan position that provided just enough breeze to keep the 394 beacon top in motion.  It's a rather 'Rube Goldberg' solution...especially if your beacon has lost some of its 'vanity'...(vanes, that is). 

Of course when the 394 became superseded by the 494 beacon tower with the vibration motor and 6-fingered wishy-washer, the rotation was more reliable.

I had a 394 tower for my first Lionel layout in the early '50's.  It lived up to its notoriety of unreliability...especially when showing the layout off to family and friends!  In fact, I finally gave up trying to find the magic voltage, the optimum needle position in the dimple, the correct angle for the vanes, adding a drop of oil...or liquid soap...or graphite...or other things Dad suggested trying.  (Most of which merely made a dirty bulb and another clean-up job!)   Besides, the red tower with its green/red beacon just sitting there all lit up and motionless more than sufficed as a complement to the Plasticville airport hanger/terminal and a motley collection of any-scale airplanes.  Vivid imagination provided the rest.

KD

It's all about temperature differentials. if the ambient temp of your room is too warm you can't create the thermal draft required to make it spin.

My layout lives in my basement and is not heated. Even in the summer it rarely gets above 70 deg in July/Aug. Both of my 394's spin nicely but I do wear a long sleeved t-shirt when I'm running trains.

A couple of notes. Use or find an original top if possible. The reproductions are heavier, but the newest repo, like sold from Train Tender, seem to work better than the older repos. The Chinese 394 beacon bulbs don't get as bright or hot as the original 461GE bulbs. You need to use around 16 volts to generate enough heat, but at that voltage the are really bright. Where you live also effects performance also. At sea level they work better than higher elevations. A beacon  will work better in New York than Denver. The air is thinner and not as much to heat, compared to the coast.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.