Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks John

Could I use just one diode to drop the voltage prior to the bus and have a 4.5v bus? What diode would I need?

I’m also told that you can remove the 4.5v board from their buildings and run them direct wired at 3v. Would the diode be able to drop the 5v to 3v or is that too big of a drop?

i apologize for the stupid questions, but it’s new to me and I’m interested in learning how to make it work.

@zhubl posted:

In all honesty we’ve powered menards buildings with a straight 5VDC with no issue. We’re talking about a .5V difference to power lights. If anything else was involved I’d be triple checking everything. But it’s just LEDs that already have individual current limiting resistors. 

Usually supplies can be adjusted +/- 10% or so.  I would suggest an inline fuse off the power supply feed terminal "just in case" (OK probably fancy overkill) unless the supply has an internal current limiting foldback circuit, which it probably won't.

A half volt shouldn't cause harm as I can't imagine the buildings being designed explicitly to run on exactly 4.5V, given that in early days these buildings were running on cheapy unregulated supplies, whose output varied all over the place depending on the loadings.

@Legion JD posted:

Without having to make one, is there a good 4.5v dc power supply that will power a dozen or so Menard's buildings?

While you undoubtedly mean a dozen "average" buildings, Menards now lists power requirements for their buildings.  Finally!

menards current draw

The point being it should only take a minute or two to do a quick back-of-envelope calculation to estimate your power requirements.  I find the World HQ 5,000 mA somewhat hard to believe, but taken at face-value that's a whopping 22 Watts.   Put a dozen HQ buildings to model Manhatten and you're talking 60 Amps!  Anyway, you get the idea.

Separately, if you review search earlier OGR threads, most guys drive the Menards buildings at less than 4.5V.  Maybe 4V, 3.5V, or even less.  It's personal preference.  If this is of interest, suitable diodes are, say, 10 cents a piece and are an economical way to fine-tune the brightness of a particular building or cluster of buildings.  Each diode drops about 3/4 Volt and you can put multiple diodes in-line (in series) to drop more.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • menards current draw

To answer a question skipped; General Purpose Rectification Diode(s). Susan's BR is basically four diodes (only two are in use , for a .75v+.75v= aprox 1.5v drop.)   A higher amp diode will stay cooler to the touch than a tiny one fyi (choose over transformer max output or over total LED draw at least).

"Only half a volt" is all it may take to cook an led too LEDs really don't tolerate over voltage well, so basically your hoping ALL the buildings are made with 6v+ diodes -vs- 4.5v diodes (because that is what was available that week at the factory, and could work too )   I'd shoot for under 4.5v .

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.