Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great layout David.  I remember your old layout with those LWs and homemade transfer table.

I enjoyed watching all those trains running on two levels, lots of action for 10 x 6.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, glad you like it.  Yes, the layout has a lot of similarities to the old layout.  Here is a video of the old layout that I took down about 3 years ago (we moved to a new home).

@Will posted:

Love it! Classic! How do you get to the back? Very carefully?

Getting to the back of my 6' deep layout isn't a problem.  The layout base isn't attached to the layout table, I just grab hold of the front of the table and slide it forward about 18".  I can then walk behind the layout.  The table is 6' x 10' and the base is 4' x 8'.  The base is 18" from the back wall.  Reaching 3' into the layout is about the maximum a normal arm length can do.

Here is a video of how the LAYOUT BASE and LAYOUT TABLE were constructed.

Last edited by Former Member
@Former Member posted:

Getting to the back of my 6' deep layout isn't a problem.  The layout base isn't attached to the layout table, I just grab hold of the front of the table and slide it forward about 18".  I can then walk behind the layout.  The table is 6' x 10' and the base is 4' x 8'.  The base is 18" from the back wall.  Reaching 3' into the layout is about the maximum a normal arm length can do.

Brilliant.

Hi David,

Congrats on the new layout!  You are an inspiration to many 027 fans, including me.  I remember your first article in OGR, it was run 246 (December 2010) where you described your technique on how to double head Lionel steam engines.  That was so cool! I think the video had them pulling like 55 cars around the layout puffing a lot of smoke along the way. Then there was the article on how you built the transfer table, which I see you have included to your new layout.  I don't remember if that article was in CTT or OGR.

Wondering if the giraffe cars work the same on your new layout.  Also wondering if you will be adding additional elements like track ties and other landscaping.  When I built my 027 layout, I tried to incorporate some of the look and feel of your old layout, but in a smaller space.  Still need to do the double heading!

Big shotOverview of yard     

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Big shot
  • Overview of yard

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.