Skip to main content

So, I have a typical garage 4 x 8 oval with a few sidings in the middle.  I can't go any wider, but can extend it for a few feet.  I'm planning a 4 x 14 layout.  I like variety in running, so added a few features: twice around configuration, reversing loop, sidings for rolling stock storage, and sidings for locomotive storage.  For two of the 20" straight sections, I will insert insulated/accessory activation fastrack for automated gate crossings.  My rolling stock is almost exclusively auto carriers, so the empty real estate will be filled in with 1/43 new & used car lots.

4x14 rev2 scarm4x14 rev2

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 4x14 rev2 scarm
  • 4x14 rev2
Last edited by Garrett76
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Another idea for the same space. This plan has:

* O36 minimum curves
* Easements and wider curves where possible.
* O72 switches throughout
* Track capacity for a second train which can run alternately
* Longer spurs with fewer switches on main track
* Loop-to-loop circuit turns trains in both directions
* Connecting grade is 2.8%
* Standard FasTrack pieces with no cutting

The grade could be reduced, but the arrangement as shown allows somewhat easier construction with more track on a flat base level. The flat base level could be built first with an operable oval, and the elevated track added later.

Garrett-25aGarrett-25b

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Garrett-25a
  • Garrett-25b
Files (1)
Last edited by Ace

Garrett,

here's an autocar facility in southeastern PA just near the DE/PA line. Perhaps the design of this can give you a centerpiece to design around. This facility is busy, so it will certainly give your trains something to do or have a reason for being. NS services this.

It's Google maps, so you can zoom and switch from satellite to maps and such. You can see there are three locations where the spurs are paved for simultaneous loading/unloading activities.

I would definitely look cool with foam or raised Masonite to rail level.

I just can't figure out how to get tighter spur spacing with FasTrack. Hmmmnn...

Last edited by Moonman
Moonman posted:

Garrett,

here's an autocar facility in southeastern PA just near the DE/PA line. Perhaps the design of this can give you a centerpiece to design around. This facility is busy, so it will certainly give your trains something to do or have a reason for being. NS services this.

It's Google maps, so you can zoom and switch from satellite to maps and such. You can see there are three locations where the spurs are paved for simultaneous loading/unloading activities.

I would definitely look cool with foam or raised Masonite to rail level.

I just can't figure out how to get tighter spur spacing with FasTrack. Hmmmnn...

Moonman,

The link isn't working for me.  Can you provide a city name and nearest landmark or road intersection so I can find on Google Maps?

Thanks

Ace posted:

Another idea for the same space. This plan has:

* O36 minimum curves
* Easements and wider curves where possible.
* O72 switches throughout
* Track capacity for a second train which can run alternately
* Longer spurs with fewer switches on main track
* Loop-to-loop circuit turns trains in both directions
* Connecting grade is 2.8%
* Standard FasTrack pieces with no cutting

The grade could be reduced, but the arrangement as shown allows somewhat easier construction with more track on a flat base level. The flat base level could be built first with an operable oval, and the elevated track added later.

Garrett-25aGarrett-25b

I've been thinking about this plan all day because it bugged me for some reason. I liked it but I know it was lacking in something.  I think I figured it out however.  Try inverting it so the return loop in under the yard (Bottom layer is the top and the top is the bottom) and make the back of the layout the front.   This might not fix everything but once a few people see it I think we might be able to fine tune it into a great looking layout. 

Last edited by modelrailroadbenchwork

Another idea with a lower level reverse loop for serial staging of two trains. The spurs are generous lengths and most switches are O72 to better accommodate big autorack cars. The connecting grade is about 3%. The buildings help disguise the upper oval. The spurs could be rearranged in various ways. Curves are O36 minimum with easements where possible.

Garrett-41aGarrett-41b

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Garrett-41a
  • Garrett-41b
Files (1)

Ace, nice work with your creative design.  I've been going in a different direction with a bit of a post-war focus.  I continued with my basic twice around design and added in a few scenery features:

roads

switch tower (red building)

auto dealerships (blue buildings)

small hill/plateau at top right

church (green building)

tower lights (brown cylinders)

I print my designs and post on the wall by my work monitor.  It's in my field of view all day long and ideas pop into mind at random times

4x14 rev7a scarm4x14 rev7a scarm 3D view front4x14 rev7a scarm 3D view left4x14 rev7a scarm 3D view right

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 4x14 rev7a scarm
  • 4x14 rev7a scarm 3D view front
  • 4x14 rev7a scarm 3D view left
  • 4x14 rev7a scarm 3D view right

When you mentioned FasTrack and auto-carriers, I was imagining a newer theme rather than Post-war.

Here is a variation which would allow two trains to follow each other around the mainline circuit. The spur tracks all have trailing-point switches, assuming right-hand running on the 'double track' portions. Two trains would add a lot more action and interest IMO.

Garrett-12aGarrett-12c

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Garrett-12a
  • Garrett-12c
Garrett76 posted:

Ace, nice work with your creative design.  I've been going in a different direction with a bit of a post-war focus...

You originally mentioned FasTrack and auto-carriers, so I was imagining a newer theme rather than Post-war style.

Here is a variation which would allow two trains to follow each other around the mainline circuit. The spur tracks all have trailing-point switches, assuming right-hand running on the 'double track' portions. Two trains would add a lot more action and interest IMO.

Garrett-12aGarrett-12c

Last edited by Ace

Ace, your designs are interesting.  One day when I have a full basement, I'd like to make a series of 4x14 (and other sizes) individual layouts then link them together like tetris puzzle pieces.  Space each layout apart by about 3 ft to allow walkways between and have removable or raise-able bridges.  That could be years of fun and family memories 

Ace posted:

When you mentioned FasTrack and auto-carriers, I was imagining a newer theme rather than Post-war.

Garrett-12aGarrett-12c

I really quite like this.  It makes good use of the space while not being overwhelming with track. There's still room for scenery and it's all one level so construction is fairly straight forward. 

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.