Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

colorado hirailer posted:

This entrance into Chicago was covered on a Google site, which mentioned that some people were in tears.  I can believe it.  Not a UP fan, but saw my first Big Boy at Steamtown, VT.? in the 1970's.  Soon? after, Steamtown moved and l thought the Big Boy moved with it.?  No?  Which Big Boy was that and where is it now?

Steamtown originally received UP #4012, in Vermont. When the whole Steamtown collection was relocated the Scranton, PA, the 4012 was also moved along with the entire collection. Thus, #4012 is now at Steamtown in Scranton, PA.

I visited Scranton Steamtown only once, during rain at York, was interested in and toured an RPO car there, and several small steamers....did not explore much in rain, and never saw the Big Boy there...wonder why?...kinda hard to miss...or forget, but..rain was a deterent.  I think this was same trip l visited "Kris" shops, which were closing out, and the Susquehanna was in flood.

colorado hirailer posted:

I visited Scranton Steamtown only once, during rain at York, was interested in and toured an RPO car there, and several small steamers....did not explore much in rain, and never saw the Big Boy there...wonder why?...kinda hard to miss...or forget, but..rain was a deterent.  I think this was same trip l visited "Kris" shops, which were closing out, and the Susquehanna was in flood.

For a number of years the 4012 was not on display in the yards, but was just east of the old Lackawanna Passenger Station (where you boarded the excursion in those days) on an overpass over the main road into town from the freeway exit. You could walk right up to her from the station and the excursion train passed it on every trip.  You can see it here in my 1985 video of the trip from Lackawanna Station to Moscow. I don't know what year she was relocated to her present spot by the parking lot.

Here is what she looked like last August. The lady needs makeup, badly.

Last edited by Nick Chillianis

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.