Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

UP 4014's whistle sounds a little odd. It doesn't really sound that much like what you'd expect from a Big Boy. Is it mainly because of wear and tear, or is she using a different whistle from her original? If anyone has information, please let me know!

Is information, all the "Big Three" UP steam locomotives (the 800s, the 3900s, and the 4000s) used/carried the same Manning, Maxwell and Moore deep-tone whistle. Naturally whistles supplied with 280 to 300 psi superheated steam will wear, and wear out. Without any direct information from the current manager at the UP Cheyenne Steam Shop, there really is no way to tell which whistle 4014 has used, or is currently being used (from 3985, or some other whistle in the 'collection' at the shop, or a whistle from a private collector).

While it was "on standby" in Pomona, 4014's whistle was tack-welded in place to prevent it from becoming a souvenir. From all of the videos of the restoration process, I never clearly saw if they had removed the whistle (and they never mentioned it). When they were moving it, they were using air to blow it. The internals may have deteriorated from sitting out in the air for 50 years.

@AGHRMatt posted:

While it was "on standby" in Pomona, 4014's whistle was tack-welded in place to prevent it from becoming a souvenir. From all of the videos of the restoration process, I never clearly saw if they had removed the whistle (and they never mentioned it). When they were moving it, they were using air to blow it. The internals may have deteriorated from sitting out in the air for 50 years.

I'm pretty sure the whistle had to be removed for the hydro test.  There's the possibility of corrosion (and therefore weakness) on the threads after all those years of display.

Rusty

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.