Skip to main content

My #41 Army Switcher test ran nicely, however, there is excessive sparking at the pickup rollers. Upon close inspection, I can see the rollers are pitted from years of this sparking. Will new rollers do the trick or is there an underlying reason for the sparking that would cause new rollers to spark also?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, first off, those models do spark at the rollers a bit, nature of the beast.  You can smooth the rollers with something like a Cratex wheel which will remove the pits and marks.  Don't discount the roller axle to roller connection, I use something like Deoxit-D5 on those to improve continuity.

I have a few Pulmore motored locomotives and motorized units, and the sparking is part of the picture for virtually all of them.  I don't think there's any way you'll totally eliminate it.

Well, first off, those models do spark at the rollers a bit, nature of the beast.  You can smooth the rollers with something like a Cratex wheel which will remove the pits and marks.  Don't discount the roller axle to roller connection, I use something like Deoxit-D5 on those to improve continuity.

I have a few Pulmore motored locomotives and motorized units, and the sparking is part of the picture for virtually all of them.  I don't think there's any way you'll totally eliminate it.

Thanks John, I'll be cleaning the rollers and their pins thoroughly tonight... and Kudos' on the layout... can't wait to see a full year in operation...

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.