Skip to main content

I have been thinking of buying a 44 ton switcher.  As a kid, I didn't like them, but have since grown up.....LOL    While the MTH and Williams switchers are more realistic, I'm not looking for one of those, unless they were made without traction tires.  Some of the locos I have like some RMT locos don't like going over some of my switch tracks.  I believe it's due to the traction tires.

Anyway, I have been looking at post-war style Lionel 44 ton locos, but have read in this forum about the motor frames having issues.  I like the fact that they have all metal drivers and Magne-Traction, even if only on one axle.  

What more can anyone tell me about these locos.  In all my years in this hobby I have never owned one.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dan,

Personal experience with shorter MTH diesels and longer switch tracks would lead me to believe that most continuity problems are due to the shorter spacing between pickup rollers, rather than the traction tires.

I've used two main solutions to the problem:

• When possible, swapping single pickup rollers for dual rollers.
  • Tethering the engine's Hot center rail pickup to either a lashup member or a lighted car.

Both work equally well on a ladder of 5 back-to-back Ross #100 turnouts.

The MTH 44-T is not susceptible to installation of double rollers.  Mine runs OK over Gargraves 100 & O-72 switches, but I can't vouch for other types.  I did find that it is important to keep the center rails of switches clean to assure good contact when a single roller is handling the circuit.

It is an excellent puller.

Dan Padova posted:
RSJB18 posted:

Dan- I have a WBB 44 tonner that works fine on my 5121 and 5122 switches. It's not scale but is still a very nice engine.

2018-01-13 07.58.26

I've looked at those.  They are nice.  Do they they have two motors ?   I cannot tell from some of the pictures I have seen.

This model has one truck mounted can motor in the left truck. Pulls fine. I have a bunch of dual motor K-lines and they are rockets.

Firefox_Screenshot_2018-03-02T18-24-42.609Z

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Firefox_Screenshot_2018-03-02T18-24-42.609Z

CTR,

Do you have an MTH part number for suitable dual pickup rollers for the GE 44 tonner?

I don't know if any such compatible pickup rollers exist.

In my previous post, I was speaking in general terms, not specifically about the44 Tonner. I stated:

Personal experience with shorter MTH diesels and longer switch tracks would lead me to believe that most continuity problems are due to the shorter spacing between pickup rollers, rather than the traction tires.

I've used two main solutions to the problem:

• When possible, swapping single pickup rollers for dual rollers.
  • Tethering the engine's Hot center rail pickup to either a lashup member or a lighted car.

Both work equally well on a ladder of 5 back-to-back Ross #100 turnouts.

Last edited by Barry Broskowitz

Dan, I have 2 Lionel post war 44 ton center cab switchers, and my favorite is the 626 B&O that appears below. I like it's appearance, magnetraction, peppyness and treasure it because my dad bought it for me on the spur of the moment from  a local hardware store when  I was 11 years old.

IMG_1536pIMG_1542If you're looking for performance, my above beloved switcher is not the best choice. It's relatively light weight, not a very good puller, and will not give you the slow smooth speed and uncoupling ability anywhere on the layout like other modern switchers can do.

Arnold

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_1542
  • IMG_1536
Last edited by Arnold D. Cribari
Greg Houser posted:

Dan, what kind of track are you using?  My MTH 44 tonner works fine on Super O track.

-Greg

Greg Houser posted:

Dan, what kind of track are you using?  My MTH 44 tonner works fine on Super O track.

-Greg

"O" gauge tubular with O22 switch tracks, along with three O72 O-Line switch tracks.  To be honest, the O-Line switch tracks are the culprits here, but I am not willing to get rid of them yet.  I may look for some post war O72 switches to replace them if the O-Line switches really get on my nerves.

Arnold D. Cribari posted:

Dan, I have 2 Lionel post war 44 ton center cab switchers, and my favorite is the 626 B&O that appears below. I like it's appearance, magnetraction, peppyness and treasure it because my dad bought it for me on the spur of the moment from  a local hardware store when  I was 11 years old.

IMG_1536pIMG_1542If you're looking for performance, my above beloved switcher is not the best choice. It's relatively light weight, not a very good puller, and will not give you the slow smooth speed and uncoupling ability anywhere on the layout like other modern switchers can do.

Arnold

I hear you, Arnold.  Slower speed for switching is a must.  

Dan.... my MTH scale 44 tonner's have a problem with Ross switches and it is a ground problem. I altered some switches for better ground and that took care of the stalling. In my opion  the 44 tonner's would be better with only one traction tire per drive axle. Someone on the forum had one changed that way with a custom metal tire put on, requires a small lathe.

Here’s a customer unit I did. Nice PS3 sounds and operation.

IMO – 400 bucks doesn’t justify the price. Should not be more than 289 for an MTH. Doesn’t mix n match with any other diesels. No lighted boards, no smoke, what are ya really going to do with it? I probably would never run it.

Give me a GP 35 or 40 I can use in several applications!

B

BO

Maybe if it was an S.I. 8800, I might waste $$$$ on it , just to complete the collection????????????????

Staten Island 8800 GE ...

Attachments

Images (3)
  • B
  • BO
  • Staten Island 8800 GE ...
Last edited by SIRT

I do a lot of switching and my MTH 44 tonner does the best job in my tight urban area's. Also does real good in the main freight yard moving longer trains than it should. Those little wheels and gearing make it very good. I just keep a different switcher in the main yard. To me it's worth the money, even bought another for the future Amtrak yard. I understand using an engine for more than one purpose, thats what RS stands for.. Road Switcher,      or GP... General Purpose.  Is my terminology wrong on those initials ? please correct me.

Clem

clem k posted:

I do a lot of switching and my MTH 44 tonner does the best job in my tight urban area's. Also does real good in the main freight yard moving longer trains than it should. Those little wheels and gearing make it very good. I just keep a different switcher in the main yard. To me it's worth the money, even bought another for the future Amtrak yard. I understand using an engine for more than one purpose, thats what RS stands for.. Road Switcher,      or GP... General Purpose.  Is my terminology wrong on those initials ? please correct me.

Clem

Attachments

Images (4)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3

I think your terms are correct, Clem.

While contemplating a 44 ton switcher, I have my Lionel Western Maryland GP-7 that I have been using along with my WM NW-2.  The NW-2 is the modern version of the bell ringer.  It has Magne-Traction also.  The GP-7 has can motors and traction tires and a horn.  Even has an engineer figure !  It really does run very smoothly and quietly, even over all of my switch tracks.  And since it is a general purpose loco, I may forgo the 44 ton switcher and continue to use the GP-7.  

Dan Padova posted:

While contemplating a 44 ton switcher, I have my Lionel Western Maryland GP-7 that I have been using along with my WM NW-2.  The NW-2 is the modern version of the bell ringer.  It has Magne-Traction also.  The GP-7 has can motors and traction tires and a horn.  Even has an engineer figure !  It really does run very smoothly and quietly, even over all of my switch tracks.  And since it is a general purpose loco, I may forgo the 44 ton switcher and continue to use the GP-7.  

Funny, I had similar thoughts until I saw one in person and of course, immediately ordered one.  

Dan - I was looking forward to meeting you today at David's before the storm took out all our power.   I will be sure to bring mine when he reschedules and you are welcome to run it and examine up close...perhaps bring a switch and small loop to set up and try out so you'll know for sure either way.  

-Greg

Last edited by Greg Houser

I have bought several MTH diesels in the last year - the most costly was 350 at Trainworld. Just mildly interested in the 44 toner saw that the MTH version was 400 but the Williams version with sounds was only 170 - Trainworld prices. It looks  scale except the hoods being too wide but suits my purpose. With the savings ordered the legacy ACL SW-7.

SIRT posted:

IMO – 400 bucks doesn’t justify the price. Should not be more than 289 for an MTH. Doesn’t mix n match with any other diesels. No lighted boards, no smoke, what are ya really going to do with it? I probably would never run it.

B

BO

Maybe if it was an S.I. 8800, I might waste $$$$ on it , just to complete the collection????????????????

Terrific photos, especially the one of the front end.

Arnold D. Cribari posted:
SIRT posted:

B

BO

Terrific photos, especially the one of the front end.

Or is it the back end? LOL that's what's so great about the center cab models.

Dan Padova posted:

Again, I got a prototype!  ;-) 

Mitch 

If I was building a layout with a catenary system, I would surely go for one of these.  

I'm kind of surprised that neither Williams, Lionel or MTH has marketed a steeplecab locomotive.  The closest would be the K-Line by Lionel Pacific Electric RS-3...  

6-21316_3915

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 6-21316_3915
Greg Houser posted:
Dan Padova posted:

Funny, I had similar thoughts until I saw one in person and of course, immediately ordered one.  

Dan - I was looking forward to meeting you today at David's before the storm took out all our power.   I will be sure to bring mine when he reschedules and you are welcome to run it and examine up close...perhaps bring a switch and small loop to set up and try out so you'll know for sure either way.  

-Greg

Sounds like a plan, Greg.  I will see you at Dave's.  

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.