Skip to main content

Here are a few thoughts on the new MTH 44 Ton. 

PROS: Fit and finish is pretty darn nice. Pulling power is awesome!  Sound is great. Nice volume. 2-3 rail features.

CONS: pilot is not fixed but it is very close to the frame. There are no Kadee mounts.

Overall this is a great engine. 

IMG_4234

MTH in the front. Yoder brass in the rear. 

IMG_4235

The MTH on left. The hood is more narrow like the prototype.

IMG_4238

smaller PS3 Board

IMG_4240

pilots

videos to follow 

Dave

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_4234
  • IMG_4235
  • IMG_4238
  • IMG_4240
Last edited by David Minarik
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm glad you like it Dave. But for the exact reasons you mentioned I would hardly call it great. But that's just me. I still can't believe they made a newly tooled engine without Proto 3/2. If there was ever a model that cried out to be 2R convertible it is this one. Plenty of people could be enticed to build a small 2R switching pike to try a 44 tonner. That was the whole intent of Proto 3/2. That's what makes me think the are throwing in the towel on it going forward.

Just my 2 cents.

David Minarik posted:
jonnyspeed posted:

I'm glad you like it Dave. But for the exact reasons you mentioned I would hardly call it great. But that's just me. I still can't believe they made a newly tooled engine without Proto 3/2. If there was ever a model that cried out to be 2R convertible it is this one. Plenty of people could be enticed to build a small 2R switching pike to try a 44 tonner. That was the whole intent of Proto 3/2. That's what makes me think the are throwing in the towel on it going forward.

Just my 2 cents.

John.  It IS 2/3 rail. I must have deleted the truck photo   Trust me it is both 2 and 3 rail   

The pilot not being fixed is the only downfall but we have dealt with that forever  It would be very easy to fix  

Dave

Ok. I stand corrected. There wasn't any info stating that that I saw since it was announced. That makes it a bit more palatable. Still a lot of work, and it doesn't look like it likes to creep very well. I think I'll stick with a brass model with a LokSound decoder.

Thanks.

Last edited by jonnyspeed

Now you make me want one dave. Will wait for the next batch with different road names though. Maybe a santa fe in the black and silver stripes like WBB. If mth does one. Did the UP ever own one of these? Anyone know. Adding update to my post. Just now looked at the new catalog. I want the UP one even if its not prototipical. Way to read my mind mth. 

Last edited by Lionelzwl2012
Pat Marinari posted:

The sounds were recorded from a real operating 44 tonner owned by Jamie Haislip, which I think is housed at the Strasburg RR.  I doubt they got the startup sequence "wrong".

Per MTH, the sounds were recorded from Jamie's two 44 ton switchers, both ex-PRR (one being the Strasburg engine) that are now on the Walkersville Southern, Walkersville, MD

cmscanuck posted:

Thanks for the review and video! Makes me more excited to order the new O&W ones. I have a couple of the brass Yoder models unfinished and wondered if MTH had narrowed the hoods.

Chris,

The MTH hoods are narrowed.  That was one of the complaints about the Yoder and Bauchman models.  The green one in the above photos is a Yoder brass model.

Dave

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.