Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Upon further looking at the diner, it appears that the beige paint was redone, as it has a lot of runs in the paint, which I am sure that Lionel wouldn't have allowed to leave the factory looking as it does. Since I don't have one, I am happy with it, especially for the price (cheap). It will look fine on my table when I get it cleared off and landscaped.

Rather than calling it a fake I'd rather see it as homemade.  Back in the ancient days, before MTH reproductions, there was something of a cottage industry in these.  If you think about it, it's a project begging to happen:  on old passenger car, some loofa sponge from the craft store...

This was particularly true for Standard Gauge, since Lionel only made the O gauge version.  I bought mine from an older gentleman who made these to sell, and honestly, I'm pretty impressed:

PICT0002

The extra signs are mine that I added, the guy who made it was true to the original.  The base is gray, it looks lighter in the photo.  And those are 1:24 figures and cars, for scale.  I believe this is made out of a 337 car?

PICT0003

Here's my MTH #42 for comparison, on the O Gauge layout (it's a fake!):

PICT0004

and a couple others, a Marx O and the McCoy Standard:

PICT0005

PICT0006

Attachments

Images (5)
  • PICT0002
  • PICT0003
  • PICT0004
  • PICT0005