Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Maybe this is what I should expect from a prop used for a crash scene, but the "engine" looks to be in overall very poor cosmetic condition. If I was to take ownership to the engine, she would not look like she does in those photos.

Also, it seems like only the top half of the engine was replicated. Perhaps Hot Water could confirm this?

TrainMan1225 posted:

Maybe this is what I should expect from a prop used for a crash scene, but the "engine" looks to be in overall very poor cosmetic condition. If I was to take ownership to the engine, she would not look like she does in those photos.

Also, it seems like only the top half of the engine was replicated. Perhaps Hot Water could confirm this?

Correct, as that is only "half of en engine" above the side walkway, made out of plywood. The so-called "crash" at the end of the line, was filmed in three different sections. The first, was when the real 449 "ran through" the mocked up end-of-track barriers at track speed. The second scene was done with a 1" scale live steam locomotive burrowing itself into ground-up Rice Krispies, in order to duplicate exactly the desert scene. The third, and last, scene was done with that full size "half mock-up" out in the desert, when Bert and Kirk step out of the cab onto the desert scene. 

TrainMan1225 posted:

Some assembly required...

Rusty

If something like this should show up in a mainstream auction, no doubt it will do much, much better than the $5 bid made here.  Lots of film buffs out there who pay big money for everything from tattered scripts and costumes, to rotting cars, to cardboard backdrops, etc.  It's a part of film history and many folks appreciate the opportunity to own a piece of it.  Very different mentality than the model RR'er who complains over a small price hike in new products and over the latest locomotive's paint job color being a hair off.  Remember, one man's trash is another's treasure.       

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.