My 455 Oil Derrick stopped bubbling.    Bummer !   

I bought my 455 Oil Derrick in November 2016 at a train show in Salt Lake City.  Installed it on my layout and she worked just fine.   I had it wired up to 18 volt DC using a slot car transformer.  Recently the Oil stopped Bubbling.   The Pump Jack still  works as it should.  The bulb was still working, but no bubbles.   The bulb I had in there was a 24 volt bulb and it was bubbling.   Today I swapped out the bulb for a 18 volt bulb, still no bubbles.  I wired it up to a Lionel Transformer set at 18 volts AC.   Still, nothing.  

Any Ideas ?   Here is a video of the Oil Derrick working as it should.

Steve

Attachments

Videos (1)
IMG_3794
Original Post

Go to Search...Advanced Search...

Type in "455 Bubbling" to the words search (first line).  Enter.

Bingo.....lots of earlier commentary on this problem....solutions...trials....tribulations...etc., etc.

It's one of those predictable idiosyncrasies of Lionel design/durability.

The current Shelter-in-Place dictum has been a good time to take on such challenges....

I'm halfway to solving the 394 Beacon idiosyncrasy...the 'other' bulb heat problem.  If I can solve the other half at a reasonable cost/simplicity, I'll share the idea. 'Til then,, the vino supply holding up, Igor and I are yet hard at work......  Meanwhile.....having fun....life is good.

KD

Last edited by dkdkrd

It's been so long since I've seen the one I have, I'm not sure how it's put together. If you can get the tube out, take it out and shake it. If not, you may have to shake the whole accessory.

i had the same problem and my fix was change the glass bubble i looked at all the stores for one but no good in stock or to much money . i found out the bubble xmas lights are the same stuff in the bubble i got a set of 10 for 8.00 on line and now have different colors works for me

There is crud, sediment on the bottom of the tube.  I shook it up,  still no bubbles.

The Christmas Lights,  are they they same size as the Lionel Tube ?

Steve

Of course there is another possibility here.  Face it, you've been pumping crud(e) from that part of your layout for sometime and the well has run dry. Best bet - relocate the derrick to another section of your layout that looks like it might be crud(e) bearing and see if you strike bubbles!....sorry, just couldn't resist.

Of course there is another possibility here.  Face it, you've been pumping crud(e) from that part of your layout for sometime and the well has run dry. Best bet - relocate the derrick to another section of your layout that looks like it might be crud(e) bearing and see if you strike bubbles!....sorry, just couldn't resist.

Maybe the well needs to be "Fracked"  

@JeffPo posted:

Still distorted.  And I have no idea why.  I've had the same problem with my videos.

Did you both orient your cameras correctly? Horizontally instead of vertically?

@Jim R. posted:

Did you both orient your cameras correctly? Horizontally instead of vertically?

Normally I film video with my phone held horizontal, but in this case I held the phone vertical because the height of the oil derrick.     My Bad

Steve

OK   I Tapped on the tube, and replaced the bulb with another bulb I had in my bulb drawer.  The bulb does not have marking on it so not sure what voltage,   But, Hey, It's now working again.

Steve

Attachments

Videos (1)
IMG_6751

After shaking the tube carefully light a wooden match and gently apply heat to the end. it will rejuvenate the activator solid. Be safe and watch what you're doing and don't let the kids see you do it. Maybe not your wife either.

Be safe/

Bill

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
Link copied to your clipboard.