Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The 6-14107 version has the dc motor/gearbox assembly with a rubber band drive.  When this assembly sits for a long period of time, the rubber band tends to slip on the two pulleys because it retains the shape it has been in for however long it has been sitting there.  I have had luck simply flipping the rubber band inside out.  I've also read here that guys will place the rubber band in warm water so it returns to its round shape.  The gearbox isn't difficult to pull apart.

There are other electrical considerations with this model (if using both PW and modern dump cars).  I won't get into it because you didn't ask.  I can point you to some resources if needed.

@MarkVB posted:

Just unboxed a like new 497 Coaling Station and tried to activate it. The dump bin won’t come down. I can hear the motor turning when I move the up/down lever but nothing happens. The Load lever seems to work correctly. Any ideas?

My bet is the grease on the gear is solidified.  I had to take mine apart the first time I pulled it out and the type of grease they had used was just solid chunks.  cleaned it off and applied silicone lube and life is good.

The rubber drive band may be a culprit too and can be replaced with an o-ring in the plumbing dept of your local hardware store.

Last edited by LionelAG

Thanks for the reply. Both threads address the post war version. I have the newer version. I think the addendum mentioned is to allow older dump cars to function properly.
This version came with an operating track included and already wired in.
I will take the roof off and see if I can tell why the bin isn’t moving.

@MarkVB posted:

Thanks guys. I will try to open this up tonight if I have time. We’re traveling tomorrow.

JD2035RR, the electrical fix in the addendum to support PW dump cars seems beyond my capabilities for now. I may revisit them later as I have a cool MTH dump car that would be ideal here.

My guess, since you hear the motor running, is that you have a purely mechanical problem.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.