Skip to main content

I recently acquired an original 497 Coaling Station with the controller, roof, and bin attached.  The wiring was brittle and cut off.  I tried attaching a ground lead to the tab on the side of the motor and a power lead to the outside tab.  The solenoid opens the chute just fine but it does not close on its own.  I will clean it and it should work fine.

I then tried power to both of the inner lugs (separately) and the motor tries to turn but does not move in either direction.  I opened the gear box and cleaned out old grease but got the same results upon a retest.  Only minor movement on the motor shaft.  The motor shaft can be rotated manually.

What do I need to do to get this operating properly?  Am I missing something in the way I'm testing the motor?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A couple of things I would try. First make sure you have a good ground by attaching the one lead directly to the brush holder and the second lead to either of the inner lugs. If you still have an issue check that the brushes are clean and move freely in the brush holders and finally make sure the armature is clean. If you still have a problem consider making sure the armature is good.   Lenny J

Lenny, Thanks for the response.  In the process of cleaning, I noticed that one of the brushes was not in the brush holder.  When I took the motor apart, I found the brush wedged inside the motor.  After cleaning and putting things back together, the motor will operate in both directions now.  I have washed the dust off the plastic and metal parts and will try to reassemble after it drys.

Thanks for the help.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.