Skip to main content

I bought this coaler new when they came out, I think 2001. I put it on my layout three years ago and don't use it much. I have a loud squeaky noise when running the bucket up to the hopper. It sounds like drill bit slipping in a drill. When running the bucket down to pick up coal there is no squeaky noise. I looked inside and put some Labelle 106 lubricating grease on some of the moving parts, it didn't really help.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry for being late replying on this topic.  I had a similar experience with the AF Seaboard Coaler #752. Mine was a reproduction model, not an original. I bought it new right after they came out.  It worked fine for years.  We used mini M&M's candies instead of coal.  The kids loved it.  A few years ago I packed it away in its original foam package because I thought I was moving. I just got it out and hooked it up, and now it works, but the screeching noise is unbearable. At first it only made the noise when the bucket was coming down, but now it is all the time. I lubed every moving part that I could see without completely removing the motor and transmission. The cost of just shipping this huge item both ways, plus the repair cost is keeping me from doing anything right now.  The noise seems to be coming from the large plastic gear you see when you take off the house roof.  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks Ted

Do you have any idea how to get to the bearings to oil them? I can see the motor mounted vertically, but can't see any moving parts close to it. I have the manual, but it doesn't even mention lubrication. I'm looking for someone to tell me that the only way is to totally remove the motor housing from the base, then I will do it. Just trying to avoid having to restring the coaler and then having it take up half of my workbench for the next year! Thanks

I took the plunge last night and totally disassembled the motor and gears fixture. It was not made to be easily serviced. The worm gear is actually metal and was totally dry of any lubrication.  There are 2 different rollers that had to be removed to get the cover off to see the drive gears. I think your talking hours of labor even for a pro!  I'm glad I did it because it was not usable even tho the bucket did work. There is a metal bracket that I had to bend to see the motor bearing and the rubber band that drives the worm gear, so I might have damaged it.  If a replacement housed unit was available it could be just dropped in by using 6 screws. I need to rest before trying to put back together again. Thanks!

@TWSONE posted:

I took the plunge last night and totally disassembled the motor and gears fixture. It was not made to be easily serviced. The worm gear is actually metal and was totally dry of any lubrication.  There are 2 different rollers that had to be removed to get the cover off to see the drive gears. I think your talking hours of labor even for a pro!  I'm glad I did it because it was not usable even tho the bucket did work. There is a metal bracket that I had to bend to see the motor bearing and the rubber band that drives the worm gear, so I might have damaged it.  If a replacement housed unit was available it could be just dropped in by using 6 screws. I need to rest before trying to put back together again. Thanks!

May I ask how you took it apart?  I started taking mine apart today, but can't get very far because the string is tight.  There is a panel on the building the string passes through however the way the tabs are bent on the panel makes me wonder how to proceed.

Judging by the sound it makes, my guess is I need to replace the rubber band.  But getting to it is a problem.

Tom Stoltz

in Maine

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.