Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Kerrigan,

Does 5.0 resolve the "can't find port" issues when trying to update TIUs and Remotes?

Most of us don't have anything like the issues that you describe so it's difficult to say if the Loader Program 5.0 will resolve these "issues" for you. You'll just have to try it to find out. By the way, these kinds of issues have nothing to do with the version of DCS itself. 

Regardless, as far as I can recollect, MTH has never had to re-issue a corrected Loader Program to resolve such any issues. In all cases, any issues were resolved via one of the following:

• Following instructions carefully to avoid operator error
  • Using the correct cables
  • Using the proper drivers for serial to USB cables
  • Using the correct version of Microsoft's .NET software
  • Recognizing if a TIU or remote is defective.

What are the improvements we will see upgrading from 4.3 to 5.0?

DCS 5.0 eliminated a bug in DC S 4.30 that could cause a channel to simply stop functioning except for a watchdog signal, when operating under Super TIU mode. It also corrected a handful of  lashup and other minor bugs in DCS 4.30.

The big news, however, is that DCS 5.0 is required if one desires to use the DCS App with the WIU for smartphone or tablet control of DCS.

I have just updated a few new and old TIUs and remotes to 5.0

Three observations:

1) the USB driver that allows us to use the USB cable to update is not provided.  When I try to use a USB cable from WinXP laptop to TIU, I get a "usb driver not found" error.  Any idea where to get the TIU-compatible driver so I can use the USB cable?  I used the serial port on the TIU with a usb/serial adapter (and driver) and it worked fine.

2) The check function requires a .net framework in the pc to work.  Where to download the .net files and which one? (I just ignored the "check error" and it worked fine.

3) the software guys at MTH spelled "Consumer" incorrectly in the software title bar! ("Conumer"?, c'mon guys!)

Installs worked, but could be better if the above was better provided for, IMHO

Ed

I have been using Win 7 and no extra drivers were required. At least none that I had to install anyway? I haven't had XP for a few years now. FWIW, I have the Lionel Recommended USB to Serial cable and I have been unable to make that work with DCS but it works fine with my Legacy 990? Fortunately, I have a Rev L TIU.

Been a while since I got it, but when you download the DCS 5 Loader, wasn't there an option to get it with or without the .net framework? I saw this option somewhere, but can't remember where? I was thinking it was net 3.5, but better wait for Barry on that one.

I noted that the Loader Program 5.0 is about 40% larger that the previous 2.34 version, and also that there is no mention in the 5.0 documentation of needing the .Net software in order to use Loader Program 5.0.

This may mean that there is an assumption that all current versions of Windows have the .Net code built-in or that the additional code in the 5.0 application itself now includes the .Net code that was previously required by 2.34.

I never worried about it because I had installed .Net some time ago. I'l send a query to MTH, however, they're most likely gone for the New Year's weekend.

for some odd reason I had to turn the power off and back on the Tiu for it to work on both. 

The "odd reason": is because the instructions say to do so.

The TIU needs the jumper cable in place at power-up in order to go into program mode.

This and a whole lot more is all in MTH’s “The DCS Companion 3rd Edition", available for purchase  from many fine OGR advertisers and forum sponsors, or as an eBook or a printed book at MTH's web store!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.