Skip to main content

Contemplating building more layout. I believe the room space with existing 4.5x8 table would accommodate a new 5x10 table. Can 0-60 curves fit on this sized table? I'm tired of having to pass on so many great locos/passenger cars on my 0-36 existing table. Using Fastrack.

Open to any layout ideas. Tried SCARM but couldn't get exact matches and feel my imagination and spacial relations aptitude limit my design ability.

Couple other considerations. Far left of table would be slightly inclined track to incorporate a tunnel that would travel through existing built-in open shelving on that side of room.

On far right, I would like a piece of straight track perpendicular to  front edge that could possibly be connected to open track on existing table via a removable bridge. I'm willing to give up on that idea if not possible. I have train shelves installed on that wall and would still would like to have access.

Would be happy if only outside line was O-60. Starting to realize only whole room sized layouts can handle the wider curves/switch tracks in large number.

I should have built a larger table to begin with. Live and learn. Started in hobby just a year and a half ago and had no idea how much more I would want to do.

Thank you for any/all ideas!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Generally, you need things to be a bit wider by a few inches than any given track size.

It would be very helpful if you could provide a simple drawing (pencil or otherwise) and/or a photograph of the overall layout.  You have identified a few variables and it's difficult (at least for me) to be confident in the interpretation without some kind of visual aid.

Others, more competent than I will chime in... shortly.

Best Wishes and Happy Railroading!

Last edited by Dennis-LaRock

0-60 curves will put the tracking at the edge of a 5'x10' table if you're curving through the 5' dimension. That could spell disaster if something comes off the track and hits the floor. You can place your 0-60 curve in the 10' direction but that's going to use your space inefficiently. In fact, 0-60 curves through the 5' dimension might be off the table because I believe the 60" in 0-60 runs on the center rail. If that is the case, then you can't use 0-60 on a 5' width.

Are you just trying to run larger locomotives?

A little sketch on plain paper would definitely be helpful but we'll do what we can without it in the mean time.

I should have built a larger table to begin with. Live and learn. Started in hobby just a year and a half ago and had no idea how much more I would want to do.

Yes haha that's how it goes.

In track planning software, there is almost a 1 to 1 relationship between which track you choose to use and how difficult it is to draw a plan in almost every scale.  Like others have said, post your SCARM plan that doesn't quite work and let us take a look at it.  Be sure to include room dimensions and limitations on room use including doors, windows, other interferences, and space you just can't use.  I'm sure someone will help, but remember, you can't put a size 10 foot into a size 6 shoe.

Chuck

Last edited by PRR1950

I agree with @Dennis-LaRock. That should be wide enough. I mean what's your operating situation like? You got any lead-foot children around? Do you enjoy high balling? I have an elevated track section on my temporary layout and all I have is a bumper stopping the train from taking a 5 foot plunge. But that's fine because the trains don't operate in such a way that they might blast through that shakey bumper.

My current track plan features an elevated line with absolutely no space/guard/whatever on the sides of the tracks. There's no difference between that and not having any space on the side of your 0-60 curve. But the trains will be running slow on the elevated line so there's less chance of a catastrophic derailment. I won't be flying around on the elevated line. I guess I'm just trying to say that squeezing this curve along the edge of the layout isn't the worst option if your operations allow it.

If you have to, you can always "lap" a 2x3 or 2x4 pine stud along one edge of the table, to pick up an additional 1.5 inches of safety space.   

You may want to reconsider a little, and go with the 054 curves.   Once it is built, you will never "notice" that it isn't 060, and you will have safety space and extra room for scenery if you like.   Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole will be frustrating, . . . and you may never be happy with just the tiny safety margin on the edge of the outer tracks.

The 060 curves will also create issues all around the track if you have switch motors (like the Lionel 022) that must jut out 4 inches or so from the track.  You would have to place all of these motors on the interior side of your loops and curves, and this could seriously crowd a siding or interior track run, forcing these tracks to be a full 6 inches apart.     And, having all of the motor units on the inside of the track may just look strange.

A compromise to 054 would solve all of these problems, while giving up very little.

Hope this helps.

Mannyrock

Ok, I muttled through SCARM again here, and it emphasizes my ineptitude. This is a 120x66 inch table.

O-60 seems to fit well enough for my liking as far the edges go. Obviously need some help on the left/front connection.

Not to mention this is about as boring of a track plan as is humanly possible. It's making something interesting that completely throws me off.

Again, thank you all. You are model railroading gold.20211015_110208

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20211015_110208

Not to mention this is about as boring of a track plan as is humanly possible. It's making something interesting that completely throws me off.

Have you ever heard of point to point layouts? I made a hybrid layout. There is a double track mainline loop. Then there are destinations inside the loop that create the point to point operation. It makes operating more exciting for some of us. Not everybody is into it. Obviously it helps to have a bigger space but your points will just be sidings that are closer together, that's all.

But most of this depends on what you want to do with operations.

A simple oval track plan allows for terrain and scenery in a compact space that, in my opinion, is just as interesting as a more complex design. Consider terrain height variation, hills, valleys, water, bridges, trestles, tunnels, and a town to add interest to an oval track plan. This layout is just an oval with Atlas O-54 curves on a 10' by 5' table.

MELGAR

MELGAR_2021_0803_07_B&M_MOGUL_14552021_0803_03_B&M_MOGUL_1455MELGAR_2021_0727_11_HILL_10X5MELGAR_2021_0727_12_HILL_10X52021_0728_02_B&M_460_1274_10X5MELGAR_2021_1001_08_NH_816_NYC_231_10X5

MELGAR_2021_1008_05_NH_816_10X5_SS71

Attachments

Images (7)
  • MELGAR_2021_0803_07_B&M_MOGUL_1455
  • 2021_0803_03_B&M_MOGUL_1455
  • MELGAR_2021_0727_11_HILL_10X5
  • MELGAR_2021_0727_12_HILL_10X5
  • 2021_0728_02_B&M_460_1274_10X5
  • MELGAR_2021_1001_08_NH_816_NYC_231_10X5
  • MELGAR_2021_1008_05_NH_816_10X5_SS71
Last edited by MELGAR

OK, the SCARM picture helps; sorry, I missed your statement about using FasTrack in the first post.  Anywho, the picture makes it clear that an O60 switch (through the curve) is not a perfect replacement for 1 piece of O60 curved track.  That's why your track doesn't meet at the bottom.  You may have to insert a small "fitter piece" between the two curve pieces just after the switch to allow you lower straight run sections to meet.

Also, you will not be able to easily reach across a 5' wide table, so be sure to leave at least 30" of room for a walkway on all four sides.  If you can't do that, either build a smaller platform or find another space.

Chuck

As I understand the original question; can O-60 curves fit on a 5' x10' table. I'll assume the poster was asking if O-60 curves would fit in a 5' wide space. My simple solution would be to buy a semi circle of O-60 track, mark a distance of 5' on the floor (marking does not have to be done with a writing instrument; two books 60" apart and a tape measure will do), and lie the semi circle of track between the markings. Question answered.

Last edited by modeltrainsparts

As I understand the original question; can O-60 curves fit on a 5' x10' table. I'll assume the poster was asking if O-60 curves would fit in a 5' wide space. My simple solution would be to buy a semi circle of O-60 track, mark a distance of 5' on the floor (marking does not have to be done with a writing instrument; two books 60" apart and a tape measure will do), and lie the semi circle of track between the markings. Question answered.

That's not simple.  Simple is listening to someone who's done the math and has already answered the question.  And the answer is no.

-Greg

I'd recommend checking out the various layout plans for small layouts on this site:

http://thortrains.us/

You can incorporate some of the design ideas into your layout.  I happen to agree with Melgar in that you can create an impressive city/industrial area in your space.  If you prefer more action you have space to create switching possibilities.   We all have space limitations to deal with.

-Greg

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.