Skip to main content

Hello everyone! I am considering expanding my layout from a 4x8 to a 5 x10. This will be a Lionel Fastrack layout. I was thinking of an O-48 outer loop with a separate  O-36 Figure eight/oval inside. I think it will work. Does anyone have a ready made plan like that they would be willing to share? Any other plans I should consider? Thank you for any assistance.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A small faceboard along the edge will prevent any trains from falling to the floor. I have a loop of SuperO  around my layout and the ends of the ties are about one inch from the edge. My grandson runs the trains fast, and the little lip that extends up as part of the faceboard has prevented numerous accidents. This photo shows it.

layout 2018 and Milo 2

Attachments

Images (1)
  • layout 2018 and Milo 2
@DoubleDAZ posted:

Unless my eyes deceive me, FasTrack goes from O-48 to O-60, so O-54 isn't an option. Here's a simple design, but there are 5 places with a small gap in the software that will probably join.

Mad 2021-01-26

Wow!!! Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was hoping to see. The only change I would me for my use would be to keep the loops separate since I run a lot of postwar.

Last edited by Madockawando

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Tim Foley and his son Neil at his factory in Attleboro Massachusetts.  I ordered one of his 5 x10 kits and since I only live an hour away I went and picked up the kit my self.  Tim and Neil gave me a friendly welcome and offered any help I may need to assemble the layout.  I was surprised to find how small the kit actually is all boxed up and it easily fit into the back of my Cadillac XT4 small SUV.  The layout was very easy to assemble for someone like me who can't tell the difference between a crescent wrench and a claw hammer.  I did find watching Tim's video on assembling the layout very helpful before I began assembly.   

So how long did it take me to put it together? I got home around 9:15 and by dinner time I had this:

Thank Tim and Neil!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • new train table: new MIANNE Benchwork 5 x 10 train table
Last edited by Madockawando

Awesome layout!

What technique did you use to pour the ballast so precisely?  

I used Woodland Scenics - Liquid Cement and brushed it on the outside edges of the track first, followed by pouring Woodland Scenics - Medium Gray Talus. I also used a hard piece of card stock to keep the Talus from going everywhere as I poured. I would then go back and brush the loose pieces back up to the trackside before then applying the liquid cement with a pipette. In addition, I added some Woodland Scenics - Medium Brown ballast where the grass cover and Talus meet to change up the appearance as well. The process was slow and took months to complete in my spare time. I wasn't in a hurry and I wanted it to look neat.PXL_20210126_034755086

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PXL_20210126_034755086

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Tim Foley and his son Neil at his factory in Attleboro Massachusetts.  I ordered one of his 5 x10 kits and since I only live an hour away I went and picked up the kit my self.  Tim and Neil gave me a friendly welcome and offered any help I may need to assemble the layout.  I was surprised to find how small the kit actually is all boxed up and it easily fit into the back of my Cadillac XT4 small SUV.  The layout was very easy to assemble for someone like me who can't tell the difference between a crescent wrench and a claw hammer.  I did find watching Tim's video on assembling the layout very helpful before I began assembly.   

So how long did it take me to put it together? I got home around 9:15 and by dinner time I had this:

Thank Tim and Neil!

I recently purchased and assembled a Mianne 5x10 foot kit as well but mine is different from yours.  The photo you attached shows an additional crosspiece on the end.  Did you order extras or is that how your kit came.

Could you please photo the center and other end.  I think the additional crosspiece makes the platform stronger.

Thanks.

Heard back from Tim Foley when I did not get a response from the OP.

Seems the OP did not assemble the benchwork according to the instructions.  The I-beams meant for the top were not installed and instead put on the bottom.  That’s why it seems that he had some extras.

Not sure if this weakens the structure or not.

@WaynePa posted:

Heard back from Tim Foley when I did not get a response from the OP.

Seems the OP did not assemble the benchwork according to the instructions.  The I-beams meant for the top were not installed and instead put on the bottom.  That’s why it seems that he had some extras.

Not sure if this weakens the structure or not.

Hmm... layout seems flat and stable to me. Thanks for checking though!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 5 x 10 layout

Hi Mac,

Lots of nice layouts here.  The design that DoubleDaz posted is a classic one.  Yet, it has an issue.   You cannot set the switches in advance one-time, and have your train continuously run first on the outside loop, and then on the inside 8, and then back out to the outside loop, and then back into the 8, etc. etc., without constantly operating the entry and exit switches from the outer loop to the inner 8.

I built a layout just a tad under 5 x 10, and had the same issue when I started last summer.  I solved the problem by using a diagonal crossing, and an interior switch in the figure 8.

With this layout, you can set the switches to run the train continuously on the inside 8, continuously on the outside loops, or continuously inside and outside.    I only had to cut six pieces of straight track to custom lengths to do this.  All curves are standard 031, except for the little twisting run in the back stretch, where you see train, for which I used four pieces of 042.

Here are photos:

P1020006P1020007P1020011

I may alter this a bit before I put the roadbed under the track, to increase the size of the inside loops a bit.   Then I'll replace the last of the hand operated switches with automatic ones, and  add the scenery.

I hope this gives you some ideas for your layout.   

Mannyrock

Attachments

Images (3)
  • P1020006
  • P1020007
  • P1020011

5' X 10' one piece panels 1 1/8" thick are available though countertop fabrication shops.

I use two of them for bench work construction.  I level them perfect and set them 2 feet apart for inside access and then have a 12' X 10' work station.  Like a large surface plate.

All areas are no more than a 30" reach.

Last edited by Tom Tee

I have now laid the two loops. I created additional real estate by having an over hang with the homasote over the birch wood 3/4 inch plywood. The outer loop is O-48 with a 10 inch track in the middle of the curves at the ends. The inside loop is a figure eight with a closed oval and a passing siding on one side with three storage sidings.

The bright colors, tinplate buildings and overall whimsey is inspired by the 1930 Lionel catalog cover which I have attached for comparison.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_0620 (002): 5x10 Layout as of 16Febraury
  • 1930 Lionel cover

Hi guys.  Not to hijack the thread, but I wanted to say hi and thank you for all of the ideas.  I am putting my first layout together and am looking for ideas.  I think I am set on a layout plan for my 4 x 8, but it's great to see all of these different things.

I am also saying hi so that I will get notifications whenever someone comments on this thread. 

Thank you.

@Bay Tripper posted:

Hi guys.  Not to hijack the thread, but I wanted to say hi and thank you for all of the ideas.  I am putting my first layout together and am looking for ideas.  I think I am set on a layout plan for my 4 x 8, but it's great to see all of these different things.

I am also saying hi so that I will get notifications whenever someone comments on this thread.

Thank you.

Hi! My last layout was 4x8 and I had a Fastrack O-36 loop on the outside and a Fastrack O-31 figure eight in the inside. Just so you know it can be done! I strongly recommend using Tim Foley’s Mainne framework system. Very affordable and easy to set up.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.