Skip to main content

Saw this ad this past weekend for $5 flats at local Menard. Check it out > Flyer. $5 flat cars! Stopped in and bought two arms full. Merry Christmas to me  

Very exciting to see this type of promotion from a big retailer for loyal O gaugers. They had a bunch, but at five bucks, can't believe they will last long. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I got the case of 24 previously mentioned on this forum.  They run just fine and don't have the problems mentioned here.  Trucks and couplers are plastic but that does not concern me.  Each has 10 holes on the sides for installing your own stakes.  This was so much easier than finding flat cars at train shows which can be hit or miss.  They are perfect for my O27 loop.

"I bought some of these flatcars on sale, and they all seem to have problems with the couplers...they open and close, but not with another coupler attached. 

Anyone else have the same issue? Is there an easy way to adjust or mod them to work better?"

I had a coupler issue too with one of the box cars. Would not stay closed and I could not figure out a way to use rubber band closures, so I just made it non-operating with a dab of super glue.

Thanks for all the advice!  I guess I really wanted to know if they should go back to the store, or if these are the adjustments which should be expected on inexpensive models. 

I will try the above ideas.  Close examination shows Most of these couplers seem to be too tight to allow for closing all the way and engage the pin(with another coupler, but open and close fine empty).  I found 2 or 3 of them will join up to only one older (circa 1992) K-Line car, but not to any post-war cars, or each other.  So it was difficult to decide by myself if this was *normal*, or if these were truly defective... 

Thanks for the advise  

I live in Omaha, and we have about 6 Menard's stores.  The internet inventory said my closest store received one box of 24, but the manager claimed they never got any...zero, yet the innertube webpage said 18 on hand the first day.  The manager said the online inventory was not real time, and didn't necessary reflect what was actually in the store.  

I found one store who only had 8 left at 9am on the first day, only because the second buyer reserved the last on the shelf, but changed their mind.  I happened to be at the cust service counter asking if they got any when when the person called to say nevermind.  I opted for only 4, leaving 4 cars remaining for someone else.   

They also had 1:43(ish) die cast cars (seemingly random models) for $4 each, and I scored 3 which fit my layout theme.  The sales people said X-Mas special, they get what they get and won't get more this season  

I have yet to try whittling the inside of the couplers, but that sounds like the easiest fix.

Like other members said,they are economical for projects.

One of these cars may need to be a stage for a (hobo?) band to set up on and have a track-side festival...

Cheers and Happy New Year

D. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.