Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In a word, NO.

Because of the size of the rails, and the small difference in gauge between 1 and Standard, combining the two is essentially impossible (if they are to share the center rail).

I believe Gargraves once offered 1/Std track, but they did it by lengthening the ties, and running one outside of the other.

Kirk Lindvig

@rplst8 posted:

G gauge is 3 rail?

No  standard gauge is 3 rails.

I've made and use 5 rail standard and O track and that works fine. Usually it has to be made by combining the parts of both existing O and Standard gauge track and used the center rail as the common locator for the ties. The fun thing to do is mix and match standard and O engines and cars on such a track as coupler height can actually mate up.

Gargraves makes a version of 5 rail Standard and O, but the concern for many is that typical Standard gauge wheel flanges are large and may hit the ties with the shorter railhead height of the typical Gargraves rail.

The catch 22 is that G gauge being 2 rail, and also subject to tall flanges, and then trying to scheme up a system of either sharing an existing rail or placing the rails adjacent to the other rails.

Honestly, if this could easily be done, I have a need for a crazy all gauges track because of my interest in live steam and tinplate. Again, I would love it to have O, Standard, and G in a loop and have trains and combinations that could use it. Also for live steam indoors, I have made a simple compressor to feed the engines currently using 3 rail O. Another catch 22 I have is not all my wheels are insulated for G, so having a 3rd rail (even if that is not "standard practice" could be extremely useful to me.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.