Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Scott Swanson posted:

Looks like a great start.  Thanks for sharing the ideas and photos. I am starting to plan a basement layout (wife wants her living room back) and appreciate seeing other’s ideas.

Good luck,

Scott

Thanks Scott!!

Good luck to you as well on your layout.  I am including a town in the middle on the first table with a two track street car line (I'm running three MTH PCC's).  Then on the other table in the far back i figured I can add a engine shed or a industry.

Trainman2 posted:

Great layout in the making.

Is this going to represent the Delaware Valley? I see NJ Transit, SEPTA, and Amtrak, and you mentioned a streetcar line with PCC cars.

Just curious, as this is one of my favorite train areas. Also, that would make it a great candidate for overhead catenary.

Yes, this area will represent the Delaware valley area.  I am from Philadelphia, and currently live in New Jersey. I grew up next to the northeast corridor, then lived near the Atlantic city line. My PCC's will consist of two septa and one NJ transit pcc. I plan to add catenary as well.

I've wired my station this weekend and completed my inner loop.  Next weekend I plan to work on the street car line and wire the bridge.  I wanted the bus station dock to be attached to the back of the last platform, however it would interfere with my road and street car line, so I decided to move it to the end of the station.20200223_17370920200223_17371520200223_17372420200223_18012420200223_180246

Attachments

Images (5)
  • 20200223_173709
  • 20200223_173715
  • 20200223_173724
  • 20200223_180124
  • 20200223_180246

The reason I asked about track radius is because your mainline track at the front of the table appears to be about five or six inches from the front edge. If you're using O-54, will you have adequate track clearance at the rear edge of your 5-foot (60-inch) table? I have an Atlas O-54 track loop on a 5-foot table and the track centerline is only about 3-inches from the front and rear edges of the table.

MELGAR

Last edited by MELGAR
MELGAR posted:

The reason I asked about track radius is because your mainline track at the front of the table appears to be about five or six inches from the front edge. If you're using O-54, will you have adequate track clearance at the rear edge of your 5-foot (60-inch) table? I have an Atlas O-54 track loop on a 5-foot table and the track centerline is only about 3-inches from the front and rear edges of the table.

MELGAR

Yes I will have enough clearance at the rear edge of the table.  I actually was surprised, also my table may be a little bit more than 60".  I will check when I get home.

Looking good and thanks for the photos.

SUGGESTION:  Please edit the thread's title to include the date you add new photos; it makes it much easier for readers to follow along.  Click on the "Take Action" link in the lower right hand corner of your first post in this thread.  Thanks.

Jay Francis posted:

Very impressive and it looks like it has been an enjoyable undertaking. I’m a Philly guy (retired from Septa) and I was wondering where you got the Reading MU with Septa livery? Thank you.

I got them from the York train show about 3 or 4 years ago.  They are made by MTH.  They are extremely rare now.  

Last edited by Aem7s4lyfe
Pingman posted:

Looking good and thanks for the photos.

SUGGESTION:  Please edit the thread's title to include the date you add new photos; it makes it much easier for readers to follow along.  Click on the "Take Action" link in the lower right hand corner of your first post in this thread.  Thanks.

Thank you for that advice.  This weekend I plan to work on the street car line.  Once that is done I will update my title to reflect the date with each update.

This weekend, I worked on leveling the bridge.  For the longest time, my bridge just sat on the table, and the tracks would rise and fall as the train traveled on the bridge.  I cut out the homasote and wired the bridge.  I am very happy with the outcome.  My original plan was to finish installing three more switches, (two 054 right Hand and 054/072 right hand curved switch) however with no expected delivery date from Atlas, my focus had changed to adding buildings.  I will be working on the town scene next until the switches are available.

Attachments

Videos (1)
20210124_155628
Last edited by Aem7s4lyfe
@Mark Boyce posted:

Your trains look great running across that bridge so smoothly!  I have to get two bridges across my chasm also.  I'm sorry you have to wait on your Atlas switches, but you have a plan  There is always something to do on a layout.

Thank you for your kind words, I truly appreciate that.  I was hoping to be done the track laying phase of the layout by now, but as you know life gets in the way and I miss my chance to get the final three switches that I need.  I can go with the Ross switches, in which I probably will depending on when Atlas respond to my email asking for a delivery date lol.  If I go with Ross for the final three switches, it will require me to cut some of my atlas track to fit the ross track into place.  I totally agree with always something to do on a layout lol.  This weekend, I've also cleared track that I am not using, and stored them away, cleaned the track and starting planning where I want to place buildings.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.